Chapter 1

Resting my head in the palm of my hand and glazed sleepily at the widow that showed dark clouds forming in the distance. My black hair covering my eyes slightly in a messy bed head style, I didn't care how I looked. I sighed softly before crossing my arms on the desk and put my head down, closing my eyes deep in thought. In my usual morning haze, I had forgotten to grab my umbrella, and not only that but my lunch too.

Perhaps if I wasn't so tried all the time my life would be much easier, but as it was staying awake is always a constant struggle for me. Hearing a commotion behind me I lifted my head to glance my deep brown eyes back at the seats behind me where I classmate of mine showed off a black cat. Interestingly enough the teacher didn't seem to mind the feline and continued to grade work, since it was currently lunch time.

I watched as girls tried to feed the cat octopus sausages and other meats, and the cat happily gobbed it all up. I little envious of the feline I huffed silently and laid my head back down to sleep. However, feeling eyes on my back unnerved me and I was forced to see just who it was or if I was just imagining things, but to my surprise my eyes instantly met the cat's red eyes. I chill went down my spine and I tore my eyes away with slight fear. With my heart racing I wondered what just happened and if it was normal for a cat to have red eyes, I surely didn't know if any.

Before I knew it lunch had already ended and class resumed, I having completely missed my nap time. A little annoyed I struggled even more so than normal to stay awake, and to my dismay I knew it was a losing battle. I could no longer ignore the blackness that took over my mind and I fell vastly asleep, yet when I awoke it seemed like no time had passed and my mind screamed to go back asleep. Realizing what had awoken me was one of my classmate shaking me awake. Blinking slowly, I realized it was the boy who owned the cat.

"Hey class is over." He told me and the cat poked its head out of the boy's school bag as our eyes met again. Blushing, I tore my eyes away again and stood up, but my legs wobbled and I leaned heavily against the desk.

"Thank you..." I spoke just as tried as I seemed and he gave me a worried look.

"Hey, will you be alright on your way home? You don't look so well." He questioned putting a hand on my shoulder but I shrugged it off.

"I'm fine..." I didn't mean to growl that out, but I did and hurt crossed his face, making me feel bad.

"Well okay, be safe." He spoke briefly and hurried to catch up with his friends who were waiting at the door for him smirking. I didn't pay any more attention to them as I grabbed my belongings sluggishly before heading out the door myself. Once I reached the front doors I could see it was pouring outside, much to my dismay. Knowing standing there wasn't going to help I walked out into the freezing rain to set out on my long way home.

I hated the cold, yet there was nothing I could about it. My mind blanked out and I numbly walked home where I collapsed on my bed, not uncaring if it got wet or I probably should take a warm shower so I won't get sick. I just wanted to sleep... If I could just sleep forever... My mind started to grow hazy again... I wouldn't have to face reality anymore...

"Hey Mortum!" I blinked my eyes open to see an old classmate of mine smiling brightly at me. We couldn't have been any older than 10 or so, and I hazily registered I was dreaming.

"What?" I growled out at the boy who momentarily looked hurt but then continued to smile.

"The teacher said to talk about future goals and I was wondering what is yours!" I watched the scene unfold before me from an aerial view, and as I watched I realized the boy was Mahiru.