Chapter 1: Jockey

I pull a mattress out of one of the rooms to set up my bed. Not finding any pillows, I use my First-Aid Kit. It’s not comfy, but luxury doesn’t matter when you’re tired. I placed my shotgun beside me. Never put all your trust in the safety of a safehouse. I lost some good friends that way. Sleep came swiftly and before I knew it, it was dawn. Sunlight shined through the cracks of a boarded window. I yawned, stretched and packed up my loot. I didn’t bother unblocking the other door. Not like anybody would come through. As soon as I came out I heard the laugh of a jockey.

“Shit,” I hissed under my breath. Jockeys aren’t the time of infected you want to come across alone. Neither are hunters. I stayed alert, my shotgun ready to go off at any moment. I traveled around the maze of houses in the small neighborhood. I didn’t dare go near any of them, in case the jockey waits to ambush me. I heard the laugh again, a little closer, and to my left. I kept walking straight, down the road. I couldn’t keep from glancing to the left, expecting the jockey to pounce in a heartbeat.

Another laugh, even closer. I saw movement in one of the houses. I shot by instinct. Glowing, yellow eyes peered up at me. I heard banging on the door. I raised my gun, expecting the worse. A coupe of common infected ran out at me. More of stumbled than ran, actually. I shot, killing both. That was a mistake. The next thing I knew was the maniacal laugh echoing in my ears, then two hands covering my eyes. I felt the claws dig into my flesh. Reaching up, I pulled the jockey over my head with all my strength.

Once he hit the ground, it was stunned for a couple of seconds. That gave me enough time to reach for the pistol at my belt. As he jumped at me again, I sidestepped and gunned him down. When he stopped moving, I cautiously walked over and nudged him with my foot.

Dead.

I wiped my hand across my eyes, pulling it back only to reveal it smudged with blood. Well, that’s just great. I looked back at the house the commons came out of. Picking up my shotgun, I started to walk over. Inside, the house was clear. I barricaded the broken doors and windows the best I could. Can’t have anything sneaking up on me. I laid everything down and walked into the house’s only bathroom with my first-aid kit. Looking in the mirror, I saw where the jockey’s claws cut me. They didn’t look as bad as I thought they would be.

Once I cleaned the cuts, I gathered my supplies again. As I put on my backpack, I felt my stomach growl. I guess it has been a while since I’ve eaten. Before I picked up my gun, I made my way to the kitchen. I opened the cupboards only to find a few boxes of cereal. I took one of the boxes in my hand in read the label. I shook the box and looked for the expiration date. Hasn’t expired yet. Good.

After I ate my small meal, I headed back on my current course. Hopefully I can find another vehicle. Or even better, a new gun.

A/N: Your Welcome for having posted this. I know it's kinda short, but Writer's Block is a bitch. :/ Anyway, there IS more on the way, so keep checking back. I'll try to not delay this time.