Chapter 6: Kidnapping

“Kelly, it’s me.”

Tommy?  Why was Tommy kidnapping me, especially in a janitor’s closet?

He went over and locked the door.

Oh no.

“Sorry, Kelly, I had to do this.”

“Tommy… listen, whatever you’re about to do, don’t do it.  You can go ahead and tell the school about me and how bad of a girlfriend I am, but that’s it.”

“Kelly, I really am sorry about what happened at the party.  I didn’t mean for it to happen.  I know that you don’t like to drink because of your sister and how she was killed in that car accident.  I know that I pushed you off the edge.  But I have to do this.  Really, truly have to do this.  Now, please close you eyes and back up against the wall.”

“And if I say no?”

He sighs, exasperated, and answers my question.  “If you refuse, then I will blindfold you and shove you up against the wall.”

Well, this was certainly a change in his character.  Normally, he would do anything to protect me from being hurt.  He would tell me he loved me, no be forceful in any way, shape, or form.  He had respect for me.  But of course, this was far from a normal situation.  I was fairly sure that my ex-boyfriend was going to try and murder me in a closet full off mops and brooms and bleach.

“Fine.  But then you have to tell me what the hell you’re doing.”

“Deal.  Now, can you please close your eyes.”

Upon my doing so, he spun me around several times like we were playing pin the tail on the donkey or some stupid party game. He then gently guided me to the wall.  I could smell the mold and dampness, causing my nose to scrunch up, and Tommy to chuckle, just for a second.  He really did have the most amazing laugh.  It was low and full, and now this was probably the last time I would ever hear it. 

I still couldn’t decide if I really wanted my life to end.  On one hand, I knew that soon, my life at the high school would be ruined, and that was 99.9% of my life.  On the other, though, I felt sure that at least Melanie, who had been there for me all throughout elementary ad middle school, through thick and thin as some might say, would still be friends, and I would still have my family.  But I wouldn’t have to live with the pain of my sister’s death.  She had died 5 years ago, and yet I still mourn for her. I can barely even remember her, but I know that if she had survived, I would have had a supportive and funny older sister to help me.  I often wonder if that’s selfish, and if it is, then I’m a selfish person.  Also, I wouldn’t have to deal with m mom’s unfairness.  It’s the petty, unimportant things that she refuses or disagrees with that I have grown to hate so much.  Again, I may sound like a selfish kid who only cares about money, but that’s who I am.  For both sides of me.  The one that I am now sure is fake, the one who is so cliché, and the one that has the love for books and Geometry.

Snap out of your last thoughts, Kelly.  Stop having a pity party for yourself.

“Okay Tommy.  I’ve done what you said.  I’m not about to hyperventilate and quite possibly die, so now it’s you turn: what exactly do you think you are doing?”

“Oh, Kelly… I’m just trying to help you.  And everything is going so off the tracks.  But always remember that I love you.”

He kissed me on the cheek, whispered that I should stay safe and don’t open my eyes or move, then left.  He left me.  Without killing me.

I feel relieved, proving that I’m not fully ready to go.  But then, after everything sinks in, I start to panic.  I’m stuck in a dark, gross room with no one around to help me cope.  Even better, I’m locked in this dungeon.  I could go and bang on the door, but the warning Tommy gave me felt as though it would be wise to follow it, so I did exactly what he said.  I stayed silent and obedient, like a dog who’s been punished, but I had no idea what I was being punished for.  After all, Tommy seemed to feel guilty about the party, not angry or frustrated at me.  And it wasn’t within his character to be mean or abusive in any way.  Like I had been saying, he’s the most caring and loving boyfriend you can get in high school, maybe even as an adult.  I knew that I loved him, but that I couldn’t be with him anymore.  Something hadn’t clicked in the beginning, and now it was causing a ruckus, jiggling around and trying to find it’s nonexistent place in our relationship.  What it was, I may never know.

I was feeling empty.  I had accepted the truth.  Now wasn’t life supposed to be easier?  I had nothing to be afraid of anymore.  Well, except for the fact that I was in a custodian’s closet.  With walls that felt like they were closing in around me.  And no way to see anything because I was being forced internally to keep my eyes screwed shut.

Breathe, Kelly.  In, out.  In, out.  Another little known fact about me?  I was extremely claustrophobic.

Suddenly, there was a rattling noise coming from the opposite side of the room.  It sounded a bit like someone was throwing a bobby pin around in a cage.  Then I realized it.  There was a bobby pin involved in that noise; somebody was trying to pick the lock.

I held my breath, waiting for Tommy to come back, or maybe some guy clad in black with a ski mask and a knife stained with blood.  Or a gun pointing straight at my head.

I’m telling you, you need to stop watching all those mysteries, Kelly.

Who I didn’t expect to see standing in front of me, bathed in the lights in the hall, was…

“Hunter?”