A Family of Mutants

Scarlett's POV

"SCARLETT, GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE! ITS BREAKFAST!"

I could've imagined a better way to wake up than my older brother, Dylan, screaming at me from the bottom of the stair case.

"5 MORE MINUTES!" I shout back to my brother in anticipation that he would just leave me alone, to sleep in my warm, comfy bed.

"COME ON SCAR, WE DON'T HAVE ALL DAY!" Caleb, my little brother, yelled at me through the door.

i lazily rolled over as my little sister, Avery, phased through the wall and made her way into my bedroom.

"Come on scar. today's going to be fun, we might go somewhere that people won't call us freaks" her excited little face was enough to get me to comply with the struggles of getting up early on a Monday morning.

"Okay, fine, I'm coming down. go keep a seat warm for me" I said to the little 8 year old staring back up at me. She gave me a toothy grin and ran through my closed door and down the stairs.

I swung my legs over the edge of my bed, connecting my bare feet to the chilled wooden floor boards. I shoved on some clean clothes and made my way to the table which was filled with all sorts of breakfast foods: scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes. Anything you could imagine.

"Finally decided to join us i see" My mother gave me a jokingly stern glare as i sat down in my seat next to my father.

We're a family of mutants. There are a few of us in our humble home, but i love it. We all have different and unique abilities, mine just happens to be pyrokinesis, manipulating fire with my mind. My mother can make force fields and energy blasts, my father has super strength, Dylan has telepathy , Caleb has super speed and Avery, as mentioned, can phase through solid matter. I guess you could call us freaks but i prefer the term 'highly evolved super humans.'

"So kids, are you excited to go to your new school" My father tries to make conversation as the four of us scoff down as much as we can fit in our mouths.

"Wont it just be the same as every time we move to a new school? getting laughed at as the other kids tell us to go back to the family circus" Caleb mumbled, eating a fork full of scrambled egg.

Dylan and I make eye contact, knowing that, deep down, he was probably correct. We've had abuse from every school we've been to, with only a couple of people actually letting us talk to them. With Avery its much easier seeing as 8 year olds find things like this cool, how i love the younger generation sometimes.

"No. I promise you that this school is going to be different" My mother tried to calm all of us down.

"You said that last time" I said to my mother looking down at my beans and toast.

"Well this school is special and safe for others like us" We all looked up at our mother, wondering what she was on about. Looks like we'll just have to find out.