Chapter 2:

“Rene and…” Mr. Henderson was my social studies teacher, and he was choosing partners for this HUGE project that we have to do outside of school. “And…Chresento.” He announced. I went down on my seat, because Chresento is my bully, so I was freaking out. And besides he’s my crush.

I signed heavily, great now I’m going to get bullied 10x worse. After class was lunch, so I decided that maybe I could change Mr. Henderson’s mind.

“Um…Mr. Henderson?” I said after the bell had ringed and grabbed my books and my book bag and went to his desk.

“How can I help you Rene?” He asked while correcting some papers with a red pen.

“Is there any chance that I can get a different partner?” I blurted out. I put a hand on my mouth, but I was glad that we were the only ones in the classroom, so Chres couldn’t hear me.

“Why is that?” He lifted his head at me in concern.

“Um…w-well y-you s-see” I stuttered. “I-I don’t like working with people very much.” I lied.

“Rene, you always work perfectly fine with anybody I partner you up with.” He said. “Look, Rene I’m sorry but you’re just going to have to work with Chresento. Yes, he’s a lot to handle but I can’t change my mind now.” He got up from his chair and left me there in the room.

“Nice” I heard clapping around me. And I turned around it was Chresento; he had one of his legs on top of the desk.

“Did…” I gulped. “Y-you H-Hear that?” I asked. I knew that I was going to get hurt here right now.

“Yup, every single word.” He got up from his desk and came closer to me. “Look…”

“Rene” I took out my hand, so he could shake it but he rejected.

“Yeah, braces girl…” He was chewing a gum. “I don’t want to do this as much as you.” Chres pushed me a little. “But I guess I don’t have a choice right!” he said. “Well when do you want to start?” He added.

“Um…” I pulled up my glasses with my index finger and holding my books close to my chest as possible. “I don’t have anything going on today.” I suggested.

“Well, I will meet up at your house then.” He started walking towards door.

“NO!” I blurted out. I was now really scared. Chresento turned around and looked at me curiously.

“Why not?” He demanded for an answer but I knew I couldn’t give him a real answer.

“Because…my dad doesn’t allow boys at my house.” I lied, looking down at my feet.

“Fine whatever meet me at my house.” And he started walking away. But before he left he yelled something at me. “Meet me after school outside, braces girl.”

I went to lunch, and sat with some people as usual that were always nice to me, one of the guys here that was sitting with me on the table was nerdy; his name is Craig. But unlike me he actually has friends; a boy named Raymond, Jacob, and of course Chresento.

They always tried making conversation with me, which always made me smile.

“Rene?” I looked up and it was Craig. He was reading some book; even though he didn’t look nerdy he certainly acted it.

“Yeah?” I faked smile.

“You are going to piano lessons, right?” I was also in piano, but I been busy so I hadn’t gone lately. But because Craig and I have them together after school, that’s why he asked.

“Not today, maybe tomorrow.” I told him, and he frowned. Craig hated when I missed my piano lessons because he got stuck with our mean band teacher, Mrs. Belt.

“Aw dang it!” He was still frowning.

“I’m sorry, Craig.” I hated seeing ANYBODY sad especially if I caused it.

“That’s okay, but why aren’t you going today?” He asked, he wasn’t looking at his book anymore he was looking at me.

“Well, in Social Studies I got partnered up with…Chresento. And he wants to start on the project today.” He nodded his head. I finished up eating right when the bell rang for 5th period. I headed to Biology.

School Ended:

I waited outside of school, as I was told. Finally after 25 minutes exact Chresento came.

“Let’s go” He wasn’t with any friends and he didn’t seem very happy. Just like me Chres lived close by school except he lived in front of the school.

He opened his door, his house looked gorgeous it could of seriously gotten confused with a mansion. “Come on in.” Chres didn’t sound so thrilled. I stepped in and looked around amazed.

“Oh, hello!” A nice woman greeted me. “I didn’t know Chresento was going to bring any friend.” The lady must have been his mom.

“Hi” I stuck out my hand and smiled my fakest. “I’m Rene Le Parker.” She shook my hand. If this was Chres’s mom, it sure didn’t seem like it.

“Well I am Chresento’s mother.” She smiled at me. “Well you guys go do homework, while I get you guys some snacks.”

“Thanks mom.” Chres came close to her and gave her a peck on the cheek. “You’re the best mom ever” he explained.

Five minutes later Chresento led me to his room, upstairs.

“Well here’s my man cave” He spread out his arms showing me around. He was acting nice to for once. “Come on in Ren…” I stopped himself. “I mean braces girl.” I smiled to myself slightly.

“Nice room.” I complimented. “We should start, I have to go home at 4:30” I explained which only gave me an hour.

“What did we get assigned to, again?” He asked, as he passed his hands through his curls.

“Um…” I looked at the book, I was carrying there was a sticky note on it saying: Jim Crow Laws. “The Jim Crow Laws.” I finished.

“Okay, well let’s find some information on my laptop.” Chres got up from his bed where he was sitting at.

“Why are you being nice?” I blurted out. I covered my mouth with my hand. “I am so sorry; I don’t know why I said that.”

 I tried covering up but it didn’t work. I was now scared that he would do something rude. He didn’t answer but we got right away on looking at information.

After we were done for the day I headed home, it was getting dark outside. But it was because it was fall. When I got home everything turned for the worse…

Hey!! Hope you guys like this chapter. And maybe we might find out why Roc…or should I say Chres is being so abusive to Rene later on in the story <3.