Part 1: Meiko of the spade

Meiko yawned and opened her eyes, taking in the unfamiliar surroundings the fancy guest room and, for the time, it was her room. Time for another day at work. Meiko thought, stretching and getting out of her bed. 

She opened the closest the maid had told her fresh clothes would be in and threw on a red Victorian styled dress. She turned to the mirror and ran her fingers through her shoulder-length, brown hair. Her tall, under fed figure filled the mirror from top to bottom.

Finding the brush was no challenge for Meiko. Once returning to the mirror she watched her hair smooth out. Short hair was uncommon for woman of this era, but Meiko liked it. It let her become whoever she needed to for her job. For her revenge.

Meiko soon finished brushing her hair. All right, one more thing and I’m ready for my big day. She retreated from the mirror and reached under the guest bed that she had slept in that night. Meiko felt with her hand underneath the bed it’s blue cover’s getting in the way of her vision. I hate blue. 

She continued feeling under the bed her heart starting to race. If someone came in now... Meiko thought. I’m through... With the thought in her head, her heart started to raced faster until her hand found something cold and smooth. Something all too much familiar to Meiko. A small dagger in a small leather case.

“Oh,” she gasped sadly, “it seems you’ve gotten cold during the night, my sweet.” 

Her fingers clasped around the bronze hilt and pulled it out from under the bed. Meiko pulled into her and cradled it against her chest as though she was hugging an old friend. “Is that better?” she mumbled to it under her breath. “Are you warmer now?”

She pulled the knife away from her and looked at it lovingly. It’s red leather sheath was unscathed. It’s bronze hilt gleamed as though it was just bought, and where the handle met the blade there was a red gem shaped into a spade, just like the spades in card games.

Ever since her family’s murder this was the only thing Meiko had found herself to love.

“Today you will serve your purpose, Red Club,” Meiko told the knife, securing it under a fold in her red dress. She knew it didn’t have any train of thought or feelings, but it was all she had. Everyone needs something to love.

Meiko stood up and opened the wooden door to the guest room. She stepped out into a large hall. The ceiling was painted white, and the walls had orange wall paper with a red leaf pattern on them, but halfway down the wallpaper was cut off by wooden paneling.

Meiko walked down the hall and entered quietly into the house owner’s bedchamber and opened the window. It was time.

She unsheathed Red Club, and snuck up to the man’s bedside. He was still asleep for it was very early in the morning. Even if this was her job, for Meiko, this was her dream. Finally she will have killed the man. That had ruthlessly murdered her family. 

She thought back to last night, and thought of how simple all of it had been. Getting to him had not been a bit of a problem for her. All she had done was pretend to be a poor starving injured little girl-for Meiko the hardest part had definitely been making herself seem small-and the rich man had welcomed her in with no second thought.

Well, he’ll be having second thoughts in Hell. She thought to herself with bitter pleasure. 

Meiko, then, put the knife against his throat and slit it through with no hesitation. If she had hesitated. The man might have woken up and she didn’t want to get caught right away.

Meiko turned and went out the window she had opened before and shut it firmly behind her. 

She then leaned against the brick mansion for a moment and admired Red Club. “You did well,” Meiko told it. It’s blade was still red for where it had slit the rich man’s throat. “And you’re wearing that beautiful color that fits us so well.”

She left the mansion behind, with smile on her red lips and walked to the edge of the forest, just deep enough to see the brake in the trees. She walked along this line, and soon Meiko had long left the mansion owner’s land and was walking along a wide dirt road. 

The road led into a rather large town. There were many people in the town. It would be the perfect place for Meiko to hide in plain sight, but until she got there Meiko would have to stay in the forest. Incase a search group came this way looking for her, though that wasn’t likely because the two other paths that she could have taken took less time to travel to the next town. A more likely path for a murderer. 

The way Meiko was going it would take her a full day to get there. 

It was almost nightfall by the time Meiko made it to the town. Once she got there, Meiko immediately found an Inn and got a room to sleep in for the night. 

Meiko marched up the stairs and found her room. In her room she dressed into the lose night gown she had slept in the night before that she had kept bundled under the glorious red dress. Finally, she took the Red Club, slipped it under her pillow and fell asleep.