I

Today, the animals stay silent. The rooster doesn't dare open up his beak nor do the crows. The wind is the only thing whispering its icy taunts this morning.  Today is probably the worst day of the year, and even the animals know it. Today someone will be sent off to die. Someone loved, respected, will most certainly never return. Because the odds are not in my district's favour, they never have been.

Today is the day of the reaping.

The impending doom woke me up at 5 in the morning. I quickly got out of bed and walked across the oak floors of my room.

Even though it was very early, I couldn't fall back asleep. Putting on my usual clothes, some cargo pants and a white tank top, I took a peek outside the window. Cloudy. Great even the universe knows that today is not a day to celebrate. I quickly laced up my leather boots and ran down stairs, trying to make the least noise as possible. We have a dainty little wooden house. I sleep in the attic, it may sound uncomfortable but at least I get some privacy. Being the only girl in my family can get quite annoying.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I ran straight down the corridor to the kitchen. I picked up my pathetic drawstring bag from the counter and then moved to my far left to a drawer where I grabbed a machete. I attached it to my belt and grabbed some breakfast. I settled on a piece of bread and some peaches. I ate my breakfast rapidly and then tiptoed down the corridor to make sure every one's asleep. Mother and Father are knocked out. Father is the districts cobbler meaning he makes and repairs shoes. He's a serious man with chestnut brown hair and eyes that match. Years of sustaining our  family have really left a mark on his face. Mother is quite the opposite, a very sweet looking women with laugh lines that always brighten up anyones day. Mother is from district 4 which explains her auburn hair and aqua green eyes. Both of my parents have the typical looks of their districts.

Next, I shifted into the room next door, where 2 of my brothers are soundly asleep. Heath is the youngest of us 6. He is basically a little clone of Mother, fiery hair, pale skin, green eyes. Even at tender age of 9, Heath is wise beyond his years so there will be no point in trying to make him forget about this day. Next to him is Aspen. Aspen is 12. It will be his first reaping and not one soul can do anything about it. What if this is the last time I see them? I shake those thoughts out of my head and proceed.

One turn to the right and I find myself in front of the twins' room. Rye and Kai were the hyperactive twins that everyone dreaded. They would go around the district, pranking everyone and everything in there why. I remember the time they put spiders in Mrs. Rosenfield's shoes. She was the, only, school teacher that our district had. Well, there was Mrs. Brightside as well but she quit when my twin brothers landed in her class. Ah the memories. Kai and Rye are both 13, obviously, so it will be their 2 reaping.

Finally, I checked the last room at the end of the corridor. I wanted to make sure Sage was ok. Sage is the oldest. I slowly crept into his room but there was no one there. His room was completely tidy as if he didn't even come home to sleep."For Christ's sake, Sage!" I quickly started running for the door. As I was about to leave I heard a shuffle behind me. I turned around and saw Mother in her pink robe.

"Aiden" she said softly.

I looked at her, tears coming to my eyes and bolted out through the door. I headed for the fields. Towards Al's post. Al is 18 and my brothers best freind. He is out of school and managed to survive the reapings. Now he works as a guard, guarding the fields that bordered with district 7. It's still very early, the sky is still pink and the houses are still silent. I picked up the pace until I arrived at Terra's house. I knew not to knock on the door so I climbed up to her window instead. She was awake. Terra is my best friend, we've known each other since we were young. Terra has always been that unpopular girl that everyone wants to date at school. Mostly because of her gorgeous blond hair, blue eyes, and nerdy glasses which actually look cool on her.