III

It took me a few seconds to realise what had happened. I had become deaf. I couldn't move I couldn't hear, I couldn't speak. My ears rang for a second and the time started speeding again.

 I looked over at Terra. She looked at me in terror, tears forming in her eyes. I was just in shock. I didn't have time to process anything. Terra pulled me in for a hug. I just stood there. I could hear Ophelia calling me up to the stage. Everyone was looking at me. 

I started moving slowly. I turned to where my parents were. My mother was shouting my name, trying to get to me. Al was fighting to get to me with my mother. My father just looked dead. Little Heath was laughing. 

I started walking slowly up to the stage. I passed Aspen. He was crying, hunched over on the floor. I felt tears forming in my eyes which I wiped away. 

I passed the twins. They were holding hands, they were as frozen with shock as I was.

Lastly I saw Sage, as pale as a ghost. He lunged to the front of the crowd as I walked by and reached for me. As he touched my shoulder, a single tear fell down my cheek. There were at least a dozen peacekeepers on him by the time I reached the bottom of the stage. 

I couldn't walk up the stage. The peacekeeper had to push me up there. Ophelia gave me her hand and I saw the whole district for the first time. Everyone was silent. I scanned the crowd. I knew everyone and everyone knew me. I could see my mother on the floor crying. My father just staring at the ground. I could see Terra crying hysterically. 

I stood there, completley oblivious to what was happening. I didn't cry, I didn't look at the ground. I was looking at everyone and everyone was looking at me. Ophelia moved closer to me.

"Aiden... Aiden..." 

I kept staring into the open.

"Aiden... how old are you"

My mind went blank. I couldn't remember anything.

Ophelia put the microphone to my lips. 

"I'm... I'm..."

I saw Terra break free from the crowd as she ran towards Al where they embraced each other. 

"I'm too young..."

That made many people cry. Ophelia was taken aback. The peacekeeper whispered something into her ear and she nodded.

"You're 15 aren't you?"

I just nodded.

A tear feel from my left eye and hit the floor. 

I could see Ophelia starting to tear up a bit so she turned around to keep her composure.

When she turned back around to the crowd, she was a completley different person, back to her pre- reaping self.

"Right... and now for the boys."

She walked over to another glass bowel. This time she didn't hesitate. She went straight into the bowel and after picking up a few and dropping them back down, she choose a winner. She brought the pearly white envelope back to the microphone and opened it carefully. The look on her face when she opened it was pricless. She was in shook. I turned my head towards her for to first time. It must have been someone she knew based on her expression. She took a step back and showed the peace keeper.  He nodded. Shaking, she walked up to the microphone agian and opened her lips.

"Ladies and Gentlemen... our male tribute for district 9 is... is..."

She took a deep breath as I looked straight into the crowd.

"Rye Oddison"