thirteen - i miss you

Dear Maya,

        Life sucks.

        I miss the way you'd crawl in my window at any odd time of the day or night, not even giving an excuse (though I always like to imagine it was just because you wanted to see me). I miss the way you'd clutch me as we watched a show, commenting on every little detail. I miss the way you'd spill the contents of your entire day out with passion as we sat in the bay window. I miss the way you'd shovel enough tacos for ten inside of your mouth at once, then smile sheepishly. I miss the way you'd lazily trace all the veins in my hand, saying how you needed to paint something like that one day. I miss the way you'd mess with my hair in the middle of the night when you couldn't sleep. I miss the way you'd occasionally gaze my way affectionately when you thought I wasn't looking.  I miss the way you'd bite your lip when you were trying to hold back everything that was tearing you apart. I can imagine you doing that now, biting your lip until it bled, just to stop yourself from crying.

         Oh god, I miss you. I want to be there so you don't have to bite your lip, so you don't have to bleed. But I can't, Maya, because you haven't spoken to me in three months and without you I don't know how to live or even breathe. 

         That's just not the way life works. Some people have to suffer. And I guess that's me.

                                                                                                                         Riley