thirty-one

"Aren't you coming?" Harry asked Zayn after Perrie and Louis got on the Ferris wheel.

Jesy and Jade were waiting, looking back at Harrie.

"I'm not a big fan of heights. I'm going to have a smoke." Zayn muttered, walking off.

Harry watched him, feeling disappointed.

"I'll ride with you." Jay offered.

Harry shook his head. "No, I should probably go talk to him." He sighed.

"You guys go ahead." Harry called to Jesy and Jade.

"He looks like he needs time to cool off. He's kind of a sore loser." Jay chuckled, looking at Zayn.

"It's not about that." Harry said, feeling stupid for not realizing Zayn was jealous.

"Well, can I talk to you for a moment?" Jay asked, throwing Harry's thoughts off track.

"About what?" He frowned.

"I was...just wondering if maybe you wanted to hang out sometime. Just us." Jay said.

Harry shook his again. "We just met less than an hour ago, first of all. And second I'm not who you think I am."

"I know we just met but...I really think you're attractive. I want to get to know you better." Jay insisted.

"But I'm not-"

"A girl? I know." Jay smiled.

Harry froze, not knowing what to say next.

"I'm gay too. I have this radar thing going on, I can just tell." Jay shrugged.

"But if I was just a regular straight guy I wouldn't be able to tell. Don't worry, you're very pretty. Very convincing." Jay assured him.

"I find everything about you really interesting, actually. I'd love to learn more." He said, looking into Harry's eyes.

Harry swallowed. "I can't. I'm kind of...with Zayn."

"Kind of?" Jay repeated.

"Yeah, we're nothing official yet, but....yeah." Harry said.

Jay bit his lip. "Well...can we at least be mates? I don't have many since I came out. They all look at me differently now and won't sit near me anymore."

Harry instantly felt bad for him, remembering how hard it was for him to come out.

Of course, Harry was one of the lucky ones.

He had been accepted by everyone he knew.

"Sure, we can be mates." Harry said, offering him a smile.

Jay smiled back, nodding. "Good. D'you mind if I have your number? Or maybe your Instagram or something?" He asked shyly.

"I'll give you both. Consider it me paying you back for winning me a bear bigger than England." Harry chuckled, just then realizing he was speaking in his normal voice.

Jay handed Harry his phone, and Harry entered his number.

"I'll text you later and give you my username." Harry told him.

"Alright." Jay smiled, looking at him.

Harry looked away, wishing he hadn't blushed.

Why would he blush?

He liked Zayn. He wanted to be with Zayn.

+
+
+

"Can we talk?" Harry asked after he and Zayn rode in almost ten minutes of silence.