Part 1 of 1

He was the only ghoul who seemed to have his kakugan activated until the ghoul with the eye patch covering his left eye made a comment, asking if he was hungry. Uta just told him he preferred to have it activated constantly. How strange an answer it was. Then again, Uta was a strange ghoul in general but strange in a good, fascinating way. And he managed to spark an interest in Kaneki just as Kaneki sparked an interest in the mask maker. To Uta, Kaneki smelled unusual and that gained his interest. But that smell wasn't a bad smell.

Uta wanted to know more about Kaneki other than what he was allergic to or not allergic to and his head measurements. It's why he managed to convince Kaneki stay the night shortly after he took his measurements and they spent that entire night talking about interests. Kaneki listened to Uta as he talked about art and how fascinated he was by it and how he became a mask maker. Of course when the tattooed ghoul mentioned he liked reading as well, Kaneki lit up like it was his birthday.

It was then Uta's turn to listen to Kaneki talk about his favorite books while taking in his irresistible smell. He was discreet about how he went about smelling the half ghoul as he didn't want to make him too uncomfortable. But Uta couldn't help himself. To him, Kaneki had the stench of blood a ghoul has yet the irresistible spicy sweet smell of a human. Both scents collided and made Kaneki smell quite delicious. It made Uta quite hungry but not enough to actually devour the younger ghoul. It would mean harming one of the few interests in his life. And Uta didn't wish to do that. Not after getting a chance to talk with Kaneki alone.

The tattooed ghoul found he really liked Kaneki and asked him to come visit him anytime. This continued for nearly a month and a half while Kaneki attempted to get used to his life as a ghoul. Touka usually accompanied Kaneki to the place because of the ghoul investigators looming about but Kaneki figured he could do without her for one night. Which is why on one late Friday evening Kaneki found himself at Uta's place again, on his own this time despite the risks. It was a normal visit before a specific question from Kaneki had surprised Uta who stopped working on a mask, likely Kaneki's, midway. And his eyes widened in moderate shock.

"...My original eye color?" he asked in an incredulous tone as Kaneki shrunk back slightly in response, becoming little restless on the stool he is sitting on. Uta eased up upon seeing Kaneki's reaction, thinking this kid was too cute and anxious.

'No need to scare him any more than usual.' He thought, deciding not to push his boundaries in scaring the male. Though this time it was unintentional.

"Ye-yeah. I realized your kakugan is activated but you don't seem to be very hungry." He noted, now looking away from Uta who eyed the other questionably. "Ah I'm sorry for prying so much, Uta-san! I was only curious..."

"It's fine, Kaneki-kun." Uta responded calmly, trying to fend off his feelings of uneasiness before they showed on his face.

How long had Kaneki thought about what his natural eye color might be? The notion sparked a little anxiety in Uta. No one had ever pondered this so soon, or at least brought it up the way Kaneki had brought it up. The younger ghoul had to be thinking about him for an extended amount of time. While the normally apathetic mask maker rarely reacted to anything, somehow this got to him. He was happy yet he felt melancholic. It's silly but his eye color is still quite a sensitive topic for anyone to approach. It was more than him just not liking his eyes. Uta didn't think his eyes were as beautiful and as vibrant as the other shades of eye colors. Even Kaneki's smokey grey eyes were lovely. Even more so because they still retained innocence along with his strong sense of humanity. Good thing Rize hadn't eroded that part of Kaneki when he became part ghoul. Sure, Kaneki smelled like Rize but he wasn't her completely. A big part of Uta was secretly thankful about that fact.