Chapter 8

Disclaimer: I don't own Naruto or this would be true

"I hate this stupid cat!" Naruto yelled a few days later, holding the biting, clawing, thing away from his face.

"Now Naruto," Kakashi walked along side his team as they moved to deliver the cat to its owner who was at Hokage tower, "Be nice to the cat and I'm sure it will do the same."

"Animals hate me." Naruto complained, instead handing the thing off to Sakura, who petted it gently, and the thing began to purr, as if it was normal. Naruto knew otherwise, it was an evil demon cat!

Sakura glared at Naruto, "This cat is fine, you're obviously the problem Naruto!" The thing gave Naruto a smug glance, and the blond muttered, "Demon cat."

A few minutes later, Naruto was given the privilege of watching the thing get its life squeezed out of it by its owner, the Feudal Lord's wife. The blond gave the cat a nasty grin, as it was cuddled away, leaving Team 7 alone with the Hokage and Iruka, who was helping deliver missions as it wasn't a school day.

"Kakashi, would you like to select your mission for tomorrow?" The Hokage took a drag from his pipe, "As you are usually late, this is a real opportunity for you to get a mission your genin don't hate."

"We don't hate-" Aiko quickly began to assure the old man, but was cut off by Naruto, "We hate them! Give us a real mission, old man!"

"Naruto!" Sakura hissed, "You can't talk to the Hokage like that!"

Iruka was similarly incensed, "Naruto! Show some respect for Lord Hokage!" The Hokage smiled, however, "It's quite alright Iruka. So Naruto, why do you and your team deserve a harder mission?"

"You still treat me like a kid, old man, but I'm not that same kid who does pranks to get attention! My team and me are awesome, and we deserve some real missions!"

The Hokage and Iruka traded surprised glances, and hidden smiles.

"My team and I." Kakashi corrected.

"Jeez Kakashi-sensei, it's all our team, you don't gotta get possessive." Naruto muttered.

"I don't have to be possessive." Kakashi corrected again, shaking his head at his charge's terrible vocabulary and grammar.

"I just said that!"

"Naruto," Iruka patiently drew the boy's attention in, "The reason you and your team are assigned D-rank missions is because you are rookies. It is important for you to bond-"

"Yeah yeah." Naruto cut him off impatiently, "Kakashi-sensei already gave me this speech."

"Then stop complaining!" Iruka shouted.

"Alright," The Hokage said, "Kakashi, I'm assigning your team a C-rank mission... do you believe they're ready for it?"

Kakashi glanced at his team's hopeful faces, "I do."

"Alright then," The Hokage smiled and took a drag on his pipe, "Iruka, bring in the client for this mission." The old man handed off a scroll to Iruka who shot an irritated look at Kakashi, then disappeared through the door.

"What kind of mission are we gonna get, huh old man?" Naruto was imagining the possibilities, "Saving a princess? Beating up some enemy ninja?"

"Eh? This is the team? They're just a bunch of kids!"

The group turned to see a drunken old man, who took a swig from a bottle. The old guy wiped his face and sniffed, "They look pretty useless! Especially that short dopey looking one!"