Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Old Ties

Whitney Porter, in more ways than one, is a pain in the ass. She is your typical blond preppy girl, the same girl from high school only in college. Every girl’s worst nightmare, or is it just mine? Who knows, it was hard to deal with her in high school. Now that she has decided to attend the same university as me, since it was a decent size, I thought she would leave me alone. Nope, quite the opposite. She is a huge part of the school’s newspaper and magazine and her love for gossip transferred to college. She is basically the little princess of this university, or that is how she would see herself. She got everything she wanted all the time; I’m guessing that’s how she managed to get into this place. My philosophy is that she used the social media to her advantage and got everything she wanted through that power. Ellison sucks up to her all the time, everyone here can tell. She also had an awful personality and only the blind couldn’t see that. And yet, people were still willing to be her friend. Welcome to the real world.

When I found out that I had to “kill” Whitney, I was so excited. Finally, this would be my year to take my revenge on the spoiled brat. I only had today to “kill” her; the game would end at midnight.  I felt so powerful knowing I had another shot to actually get my revenge, but was it really worth it? I know this game was about revenge and shenanigans, but did I really want to be the immature one here and give in? That is what she would want me to do; “kill” her and let her see my childlike expression as an invitation to mock me one last time? No, I won’t allow her to mock me. I won’t “kill” her. She will never find out that I was her killer.  

The end of spirit week means that the Spirit Fling ball is just around the corner. In fact, they moved the Spirit Fling Ball to tonight. I questioned whether I wanted to go or not. This year however, Fatima was in charge and she said that it was totally worth it to go. The inner best friend in me finally gave in and decided that I would go. But who would go with me? Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Marcus knock on my door. We lived in a co-ed hall, and Marcus was only a few doors down from Fatima and I. Fatima was out setting up the Convo center for the Ball tonight, so I was left to do my homework in my room.

            “Come in.”

Marcus walked over to where I was sitting. I was at my desk with my blue lamp illuminated so I could see my work. My whole desk was covered with assorted papers and three open textbooks, which were the sizes of dictionaries. I had pictures of my friends and family posted on my wall above my desk and various school supplies scattered all around my desk. My computer was sitting in my lap open to a Word document. As soon as Marcus stood in front of me, I closed my laptop, stood up and hugged him.

            “What’s going on?”

            “I just came by to visit. Fatima’s setting up for tonight?”

            “Yes, she is.”

I nodded slightly and Marcus put his hands in his pockets. I heard a rustling of something and wondered what he was doing.

            “I’m afraid to ask what you are doing,” I chuckled.

            “I have something for you.”

He pulled out two tickets. I recognized the design as the one that Fatima designed for the tickets for the dance.

            “You afraid now?” he chuckled.

            “Nope, not anymore. The other ticket is for me?”

            “Only if you want to go with me.”

Spending the last dance with my best friend was going to be the greatest. I accepted his invitation willingly and hugged him again.

            “It’s kind of late, but thank you!”