Dangerous Situations

Chapter One:

I bring the cup of latte to my lips and take a long sip of the sweet taste of caramel. One of my favorite drinks when it's cold out. Emily on the other hand, doesn't know the meaning of coldness when she's half way done with her mocha ice tea. After she puts her drink down, she continues her story on how Jake Anderson talked to her in Biology class.

I don't want to rain on her parade, but they're forced to talk to each other since their lab partners.
But for the sake of my best friend's happiness, I keep my mouth shut. It didn't take long to tune her out since this is the tenth time today she speaks of him.

My head turns to the large window panels in front of me; which display the gray skies and the number of people walking under it. I can tell it's starting to rain since people are opening their umbrella, to avoid getting wet. I mentally laughed at those who are walking through the rain with their arms wide open, the rain pouring onto them. They won't be so happy once they get sick.

After watching multiple people walk by, I notice two little girls, around the age of six, walking together under a pink and blue striped umbrella. Their arms are linked together, with bright smiles on heir faces. I unconsciously smile at them, reminding me of Emily and I when we were little. It might have been a long time ago since we've become friends, but our bond is unbreakable. All it took was Emily to insult me to make us best of friends.

I lean on my hand and take another sip of my latte. Watching the two girls walking away; I start to remember that faithful day.

"But I don't wanna!"

"Emily..." the teacher said impatiently. "You must behave or else you'll get a time out."

"Fine! But don't expect me to be friends with anyone."

I watch the girl storm away from the teacher and sit down at the furthest picnic table. Call me crazy but this Emily girl sounds nice.

She's probably hungry because she hasn't eaten her lunch yet. I fish a sandwich out of my lunchbox, and walk up to Emily. Taking the seat next to her, I hand her the other half of my sandwich. As much I hate sharing my food, my mom is worried I won't make any friends and die alone.

"I hope you like baloney, it's one of my favorites," I said friendly.

"Thanks!" She said before devouring half the sandwich. I knew she was only grumpy because she didn't eat her lunch. Ah, how food can solve all your problems. We sat there in silence, enjoying our food until Emily spoke up.

"Hey, are you new? I've never seen you around." She said, eyeing me curiously. I take my eyes off my food for one second, but then continue chewing, shaking my head. "I'm not new," I chucked. "I've being going to school for a while now."

"Huh, you must be a third grader than. I'm a second grader," she said with a small frown. That frown was soon replaced with a lopsided grin. "Why are you here with these babies?"

I stare at her confusedly, third grader? The third graders are in class right now while the rest of us are enjoying our lunch recess. But wow, I've must have grown a lot more than 2 inches for her to confused me as one. Wait, that's not the important issue here; She just called me a baby!

"For your information, a baby is a one-year-old person. I am seven years old therefore not a baby. You might wanna get your eyes checked if you thought I was a year old." I take an angry bite of my food. I guess it takes more than a sandwich to calm someone down. Emily stares at me emotionless until she looks through her backpack like a freak. She suddenly shoves a chocolate pudding into my hands.