Chapter 1: A Ghost of a Girl

26 years ago....

Hanzo's P.O.V.

Father has called me down to the Great Hall today. I'm very nervous about what he wants. From what the servant had told me, it had something to do with that ghost girl. From my knowledge of this, every night for the past few months, there's been a girl who just sits under the cherry blossom tree outside of the great hall. The reason everyone says it's a ghost because when someone tries to capture her or even tries to get close to her, she disappears. No one has ever gotten close enough to see where she goes nor where she comes from.

I walked past the tree, staring at it for a moment before going forward to the Great Hall.

Father is sitting at the end of the room and is watching Genji's lesson take place. He is holding a wooden sword as his trainer tells him the best places to strike an opponent.

Father notices my presents and clears his throat, "Hanzo, come."

I do as I'm told and approach him, sitting in front of him. Genji curious why I'm here, only to get smack in the back of the head by his trainer, telling him pay attention.

"Hazno," Father says, looking down at me, "I have a mission for you."

"A mission?" I ask, confused but also excited.

I've never been on a mission before so I wander what he has in store for me.

"Yes, it's has to do with the so called "ghost girl" or rather the girl who sits under the cherry blossom. That tall tale of her being a ghost was proven to be nothing but a tall tale a few nights ago."

"Oh? But, I heard that no one could ever get close enough to know for sure."

"And you would be right. But, one of the guards finally got close enough to get her by surprise. He was able to grab her arm before he went unconscious. When he came to, the girl was long gone."

"Really?" I cross my arms, not quite believing the story.

"I know you, Hanzo, you think it's all made up, believe me, I thought it was all lies as well."

"You can always read me like a book, huh?" I say, not surprised that he knew my thoughts exactly.

"You are my son after all." He chuckles then, gets serious again, "But, two nights later, a few guards ran after the girl, once again, before they went unconscious. But, this time, I saw the girl hop over the wall before she got away. No matter how many guards we scan that area for her, the fools never catch her."

How pathetic, it couldn't be that hard to catch one girl, right? I mean, it's odd that everyone gets knocked out but, come on. It's just one girl.

"Now, there is one thing that we haven't tried yet. And this is where you come in." He half smiles then has a look in his eye, that you can clearly see the wheels turning in his head, "One guard has said how she was around yours and Genji's age so, if these fools can't get her than maybe you can. You first mission is to capture her and bring her to me."

All I have to do is catch her? Piece of cake.

"Yes, Father." I reply as I bow then stand up to leave but, father raises his hand.

"Hanzo, just because she is a girl, don't let your guard down. She isn't your normal girl from what I believe." He replies calmly.

"Of course." I say, not worried at all, as I walk away.

I hear my father sigh as I leave the room. Why should I be worried? It's just a girl. I'm a shimada. This whole thing should only be a few minutes to complete the mission.