Chapter 1

(1)

When Leon was small, he was the adorable kind of chubby kid loved by everyone. He had choppy auburn hair and amber eyes. Fair skin. Little plump cheeks people loved to pinch. He was born in a decent family. His alpha father, Arthur Kirkland, owned a toys company. He spoiled his son excessively with trinkets and accessories. His omega mother, Yao Wang, owned a traditional Chinese restaurant down the street. He was slightly stricter in parenting, but he, too, pampered the boy a lot with food. Life was smooth and peaceful. Leon's parents were well-off so they could both offer him the best. He went to school with other kids. Met his best friend, Emil, in kindergarten. People doted on the boy a lot. He was reserved and enduring at first glance. Never spoke the unnecessary or countered his seniors. Always retained a cherubic smile on his face. Followed the rules superficially. Never failed a single test in class. He just knew how to please those around him.

But...

With every story comes a 'but'.

Underneath that endearing façade hid a slightly distorted core. Like every good kid has at least one nasty secret. Leon had many though.

His true self was the complete opposite of his facet.

There was this one Korean boy in class who stuttered in every speech. Never caught much attention from others and was always omitted in every class activity. He also had an unappealing look. He wore glasses with thick lenses. He carried around him an equally thick book. His oily hair was parted in the middle. His clothes were always frayed and dirty. Sometimes, a single sock might be missing. His lunchbox had nothing but kimchi and rice. His name was Im Yong Soo. He was a nerd forsaken in one corner.

A typical citizen from the third distract. A lower class. The filthiest kind of people, in Leon's opinion.

Leon had always been taught that society runs hierarchically. Even at an early age, his father had brought him to various social gatherings. He had met some of the most marvellous and affluent people. His family was among the best in the neighbourhood so they were always revered. When Yong Soo first joined the class, Leon couldn't help laughing inwardly. He had found the perfect target to abuse.

"Ill, this stuff tastes like shit." Leon scrunched his nose and held the lunchbox far away from him. The ten-year-old sat high on the teacher's desk and crossed his legs.

"What do you expect? People from the slums eat shit!" his sidekicks laughed simultaneously.

"Look at his clothes, Emil." Leon sneered and glimpsed his best friend. Emil had a head of silvery hair and pale skin. His amethyst eyes glinted with mischief as he joined in the teasing.

"He looks like he hasn't showered in two weeks."

"That's cross." Emil grimaced.

"Please...give me back...my lunchbox..." Yong Soo, the then shortest boy in class, stammered and tried to retrieve his measly lunch.

Leon flipped the lunchbox with a sickening snicker and poured all the contents on Yong Soo. The Korean boy widened his eyes.

"Now he smells kimchi."

Everyone laughed.

The empty lunchbox dropped to the ground with a thud. Tears trickled down Yong Soo's face. It wasn't the end of it though.

Two boys grasped his elbows and kicked his legs. He fell on his knees.

"Drag him here," Leon ordered.

"What're you planning to do?" Emil raised his eyebrows in amusement.

"I'm gonna, like, teach this lowlife what it means to be a dog." Leon tittered.