Chapter 5

(19)

The school let them take the final exams before Christmas so that they could end the semester and graduate earlier than everyone else. Emil and Leon spent most time at home after that. They had a whole gap year to decide what to do after their kids were born. It got lonely at some point because their mates were still at school. They took the liberty to prepare the Christmas decoration and shop for festive ingredients. Life was peaceful. They could hang out with each other every day and fool around. Somehow, being omegas didn't sound so frustrating to them anymore. Sure it came with responsibilities but there was also a carefree part of it.

"Leon! Stop eating the gingerbread!" Emil yelled, pulling his friend away from the Christmas treats. "You're eating up all the sweets even before the party starts!"

"Why, you're, like, so snappy today. Mood swing?" Leon ignored Emil and grabbed a handful of sweets.

"You're not any better!" Emil pinched him in the arm and dragged him to the little nest they formed near the couch.

"Now sit still, I'll take care of the rest. I can't entrust the food to you." Emil scolded, waving his hands in the air. Leon laughed and poked the other omega's belly. "I suggest you sit down with me. I don't think Mathias wants you to move around that much."

Blush tainted Emil's face as he tossed a pillow at Leon. He couldn't understand why Leon managed to keep his figure so well. His belly was showing quite obviously. It was always embarrassing for him to stare at himself in the mirror.

"Because I used to work out a lot," Leon taunted and continued chewing his gum. "That, like, matters too."

"So unfair."

Emil gave up trying to tidy up the room. He dumped all their shopping bags on the desk and retreated to the nest. He flopped down and snuggled up against Leon.

"Tired?"

"I didn't know it would wear me out this much," Emil grumbled, nuzzling against the other boy. Leon's skin was always warmer than his. It was comforting to be cuddling his best friend in the midst of cruel winter.

"I know. It sucks to be exhausted so easily. I, like, wanted to go hiking the other day but Yong Soo wouldn't take me out. He said I would probably get tired halfway up the hill and he had to carry me all the way home."

Emil laughed, "Sounds like he cares about you. I'm still very confused. How does that relationship thing work between you two? I thought you hate each other to death."

Leon shrugged and turned on the TV. A random comedy show was running on the channel.

"I don't hate him. I have, like, never hated him. I just loved picking on him when I was a kid." Leon lolled against the cushions idly and switched the channel. It was playing an African documentary.

"Wait," Emil creased his brows and contemplated for a long moment, "I still don't get it!"

"You don't have to." Leon laughed and leant against Emil. "It doesn't really matter. I kinda feel that the stuff between us is bound to be."

"This is so complicated." Emil snorted but relaxed into the entourage of pillows and duvets. Leon was not even watching the TV anymore. He stared up at the ceiling while running a hand through Emil's head of silvery hair. It looked whiter than usual.

Emil closed his eyes and basked in the soft touches. Time like this always reminded him of their blissful past together. Not that it wasn't blissful now. There were so many uncertainties ahead. So much to look forward to.

"Hey, like, do you think your child will have light blonde hair? It's gonna be so pretty. Just like the snow out there."

Emil glimpsed the snow outside the window.