Four: The Lord of Dragons

On a barren plateau high above a storm-tossed sea, Orbion waited. His Water Orb had been more successful in its hunt that he could have possibly hoped.

At last, the being he had been expecting arrived. His slender silhouette appeared between one flash of lightning and the next.

"Why have you summoned me?" asked Mewtwo.

Orbion chuckled softly. "Because I heard that you once shared my goal: the total eradication of the plague known as the human race. I understand that you tried to bring about a colossal flood to wipe them from the face of the earth."

"That was many years ago. I have since been shown that humans possess the capacity for kindness," Mewtwo replied, crossing his slender arms over his chest. "The actions of a boy named Ash Ketchum and his friends convinced me of the error of my ways."

Orbion's eyes narrowed dangerously. "I see. So you have strayed from path of justice."

"There is no justice in mass murder. And," he added. "After realizing that fact, I have since made it my duty to protect humans and Pokémon alike from those who would bring them such harm."

"You would defend creatures capable of atrocities like this?" Orbion asked, summoning a small ball of fire to reveal the vivid scar that ran all the way around the elbow of his left arm; a scar created when the scientist had amputated the dragon's limb to test his regenerative capabilities.

Mewtwo stared long and hard at the dragonoid before he at last spoke. "I have never encountered one of your kind before, nor do I know the hardships you have endured, but I will tell you this anyway: you are not prepared to pay the cost of extinguishing an entire species. If you continue down the road you are on, you will lose your soul."

"Is that your final answer?" Orbion asked.

"It is," Mewtwo responded.

"Then you are of no use to me in your current mindset."

"Indeed not. Fair well, Orbion, and heed well my words."

Mewtwo had already begun to turn away when Orbion spoke again, this time his voice full of gleeful malice. "However, mindsets can be changed more easily than you think." The sharp click of the Psychic Dominion Sphere socketing itself into Orbion's tail could be heard over the rumble of thunder. Orbion's eyes glowed purple

Mewtwo tensed, already summoning a ball of psychic energy to assault the dragon. He was not prepared for the mind-numbing mental attack Orbion launched at him.

Mewtwo dropped to his knees, desperately trying to fight off the needle of thought that stabbed into his conscious.

Orbion strolled casually forward and placed one hand on the Pokémon's head, amplifying his psychic attack. Mewtwo's eyes went blank and glowed the same hue as Orbion's as he as succumbed to the overwhelming barrage.

"Now, my pawn, what is your purpose in this world?" Orbion asked slyly.

Mewtwo's only response was climb woodenly to his feet and bow to his new master.

There were hugs and tearful greetings all around as Ash reunited with some of his oldest and most cherished friends. He gladly listened to Dawn's tales of her endeavors in the Pokémon contests in Hoenn and Johto. Misty bragged of her continued ownership of the Cerulean City Gym. Meanwhile, Brock tearfully recounted all of the hundreds of girls that had rejected him since he last saw Ash.

"My brother has the same problem," Bonnie said angrily. "He doesn't even have the courage to ask them in the first place. I always end up asking them for him."