02- First day of apprenticeship

Troutpaw blinked the sleep out of his eyes as a quiet voice woke him from his slumber. "Troutpaw, Troutpaw. Wake up," mewed the quiet voice. Suddenly, he recognised it to be that of his sister, Lilypaw. He lifted his silver head and blinked his brown eyes lazily at Lilypaw. "Yes Lilypaw?" He mewed looking into her amber eyes. "Come on! Our mentors want us to give us a tour of the territory!" mewed Lilypaw, irritation glittering in her brown eyes. Troutpaw shoot up out of his nest and quickly groomed his silver and white spotted coat. He looked up just in time to see Lilypaw's brown tabby pelt leave the Apprentice's den. He hurried after her white fluffy tail tip and blinked as the bright sun glinted down into his eyes making it too bright to see for a moment. Troutpaw heard a mew of amusment behind him and turned round to see the shimmering dilute calico pelt and glowing green eyes of his mentor, Dappledflower. Troutpaw sighed, he was lucky to have such a good mentor. Dappledflower never really got mad and always reasoned with him. She was a senior warrior although she was still a quick minded and energetic cat at heart. He loved her like a mother, especially because his mother died during his and Lilypaw's kitting.

They also had a younger sibling but she died 3 moons after birth as she was too weak from a strong bout of greencough. Her name was Dustkit and Troutpaw remembered her lithe grey pelt and shimmering amber eyes that never looked like his and Lilypaw's strong builds and thick fur. She always looked more WindClan than RiverClan. Sadly, he couldn't remember his mother but Sprucecloud, his brown tabby father who looked exactly like Lilypaw, said that she was a beautiful grey and white she-cat with hazel eyes and a lovely soft voice. Sprucecloud said that she had named him and Dustkit but died before she could name Lilypaw so his father decided to name Lilypaw after her mother. His and Lilypaw's mother had been named Lilypetal and was even part of a prophecy. The elders said the prophecy was, "The petals of a lily flew past a young spruce tree with leaves like clouds and then drifted past river with lilies by the bed and trout fish swimming in the clear blue depths before flying up into the air with a cloud of dust. Both the lily petals and dust cloud disappeared into a bright white light and then I woke to my apprentice Frostflake prodding me..." That's what the old medicine cat, Elderfoot, had told them moons ago when they were kits. He only fully understood, he said, when both Lilypetal and Dustkit had died.

Now Troutpaw knew what the prophecy had meant and he was now free from his tragic kithood. He shook away his memories and looked up to see Dappledflower looking at him sympathetically. " You were thinking about Lilypetal and Dustkit weren't you. I could tell by the distant look in your eyes. You what, I wasn't going to tell you this for quite sometime yet but I think you deserve to know. The reason I am your mentor is not because Adderstar choose me to be it- its because I requested to be. I wanted to be because your mother was one of my closest friends and my first apprentice. You look almost exactly like her and are one of the few things left of her. You remind everyone here of her and please just let us see her in you is- is that ok?"

Troutpaw looked at his mentor astonished, she looked and sounded like she was about to burst into tears. He took a few minutes to take in all this information but by the time he did he was amazed. His mentor had known the ins and outs of his mother life. She could tell him everything. He suddenly felt like he could she his mother in front of him, urging him on, telling him to go and help Dappledflower enjoy her memories just by being there. He nodded to Dappledflower and mewed with a smile, "Sure thing, but only if I get the best fresh-kill today and you tell me all about my mother."

Dappledflower smiled and mewed, "It would be my pleasure Troutpaw." With that she began walking out into the territory telling a story about how Lilypetal, as an apprentice, had manged to help fight of a giant fox with he father, who was a new warrior at the time. Something told Troutpaw that his apprenticeship would be the best time of his life.

Little did he know that his mother was walking right beside him and following him and Lilypaw every pawstep. Lilypetal had decided to come down from StarClan with Dustkit to keep away bad dreams from her tow remaining kits. No cat saw her glittering grey and white fur and glowing hazel eyes as she snuggled with her kits and sung them songs in her sweet voice. She swore to become the protector of her kits and warn them of any dangers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was my new chapter! I have spent about two consecutive hours on it and I am pleased with the result. Do you guys think I should do more on Troutpaw and his family? Also if you want I could write a prompt about your oc. Just look at the Intro/Form for info. I don't know when anything else will be up but I'm working on them!

Mint~