Chapter Fifteen

I didn't sleep at all that night, not even when Kip cried herself to sleep in my arms. I stayed awake and continued to press the ice to all the overheated parts of her body.

I felt my eyelids grow heavy but I continued to hold her. Finally Max came in and gently tapped my shoulder.

"Shea, you need to get some sleep."

"No..." I croaked and shook my head.

"No, I'm not leaving her side. Hand me her medicine."

Max sighed but did as told and handed me her medicine.

I got her dose and gently gave it to her. She continued to sleep through it.

"Shea, I promise she'll be alright. Just go and get some sleep."

I looked to Max.

"Can Benut move?"

He blinked caught off guard.

"Uhm...I think so." He said.

I nodded.

"Go and look for a car immediately. Take Jay with you; if you find one bring it back. We are getting them to New York today. The sooner we're there, the closer we are to getting them to Grenon."

Max stared at me long and hard for a moment. He opened his mouth to speak but then he just shook his head and turned, gearing up for the bitter cold.

I watched as he woke Jay and got him dressed warmly before they left. I finally took a breather and felt the dreariness really sink in; plus my arm was beginning to ache. I winced as I gently set Kip down on the couch and held my arm for a moment.

"It's the stitches. The skin is going to start forming around them or over them." I turned my head and saw Kip looking up at me with the wise eyes she had the other night when she helped patch me and Benut back together. "It's going to ache for a little while, the best thing you can do it just try to ignore it...I should probably clean it though."

"I'm not worried about anything but you right now. How do you feel?" I questioned and adjusted myself so I could get a little more comfortable. I used my good hand to push the hair out of her eyes as she sat up and stared at me.

"Okay, I guess. Normal. Better than last night."

I blinked and swallowed back a lump of tears in my throat.

"I'm sorry I scared you."

She blinked and turned her head away for a second. She crossed her legs and just stared at the floor.

"Shea...Am I gonna die?"

I suddenly jerked forward in shock, as if someone had punched me in the stomach.

"Wha- Why would you ask such a ridiculous question?"

She shrugged.

"I guess just because...I've always known I would...especially since I have this but still...I'm afraid that I'm not going to have as much time as you and Jay and Max. I'm never gonna get to learn how to fight or how to hunt...I'm never going to get to be strong like you and Jay are and I'm never going to get to do anything."

She blinked and I saw a tiny tear crawl down her cheek. This tear struck me hard because of the genuine words that followed its appearance.

"I'm not afraid of leaving, I'm just afraid that I won't be remembered when I'm gone."

I turned towards Kip and held her face between my palms.

"Kip, you have nothing to be afraid of. Do you hear me? I'm your big sister and that means I will never let anything happen to you or Jay. Nothing is going to happen to you. You aren't going anywhere unless it's Grenon."