Chapter 1-Right by Me

Several men headed south of Germany looking for their assigned outpost, traveling through a thick forest with a makeshift dirt and gravel path. Yesterday afternoon the company heard that there was a victory at their fort but enemy reinforcements would soon be there once again. So a mighty general and some of his colleagues were called in. He was one of the best leaders in all of Europe, but specifically in Germany during WWII. Not one stop was made, even through the night. It had rained a couple hours after their departure and it was freezing and wet, maybe even below 0 degrees Fahrenheit, but the horses with their masters treaded like wild beasts after their prey. The thick mud did not stop them. Continuously moving, they would be rewarded by their riders at the end of the Journey.

Feliciana, the brown haired Italian girl, was riding with The Great General. Alzen as a navigator. She was to lead them through the dark wooded path, then to become a strategist as soon as she got to base. Since Feliciana was small enough, she rode with someone making it easier to focus on the map in hand. Alzen held her steady in front of him so she couldn't fall off while riding his trusty ebony stead. He was strong enough to control both the horse and Feliciana. After what was hours of reading, she would soon grow tired and fall asleep against Alzen chest, which was warm and settling due to his rhythmic beating heart. Alzen would then pull Feliciana's hood more over her face to keep her from getting cold. Together they rode with the squadron behind them to the fort.

Once they got through the thick forest and onto the grassy plane, they could see the concrete fort surrounded by tents and trenches. It stood proud, protruding from within the ground. The height of it was a bit threatening, especially with how the cannons were posted throughout windows and the way the men were watching carefully from the inside and outside the building. It was definitely fortified and the men were sure not to make any errors like letting enemy troops passing the bordering line.  Nothing stopped the Germans troops from good combat tactics.

They rode into the area in which the outpost was situated, holding up the German flag whilst riding. Soldiers came leading the horses to the watering hole in which the mammals could rest. Then the men led the group into the commanding quarters where they were to do all of their work. Alzen walked through the camp with Feliciana right behind him, making the men whisper and rumor around them. He payed no heed to what they were saying but just kept walking straight where he was suppose to go. Alzen's men glared at the younger cadets for doing such mockery to him which made them stand him straight and avoided eye contact.

Walking into the mid room of the fort, Feliciana saw people were gathered around a rather large table. On it were multiple maps and ledgers, along with tiny flags and small figurines. Lights glowed from within it, illuminating the maps a yellowish color. All the people that were just chattering amongst themselves turned to them and greeted the squadron with a salute, ushering them to come closer so they could explain the situation. After they were done explaining, Feliciana took the moment to show some better ways to organize things. The higher ranking officials looked pleased with her. Alzen then turned to her, "Make sure you stay here and do your Job, don't go running off. They looked impressed with you" He said with serious tone with an almost praising edge to it.

"You know I can fight too." Feliciana spoke out while Alzen was gearing up.

"No, you can't. I know you, and how easily you surrender in tough situations, Feli."Alzen said taking her by the shoulders and looking her in the eyes. "So please... just stay here." He said with concern, then left on his horse.

Alzen rode off into the camp with a squad of  30 other people in dressed down in uniforms. He led them to their positions about a half a mile away and held them steady until the first wave of the enemy troop appeared. There was a two hour time frame between leaving the fort and getting into position to when the British army started to turn up at the front lines. The battle's intensity slowly risen throughout the first couple of hours. The sun was still up when the first shot was fired but as soon as the sun was down, what was 50 men turned to hundreds on each side's army as soon as their reinforcements had arrived. It was a bit chaotic by night fall. Their company plus about 20 others were lucky because of their timing, any later and their lines would've been pushed back. They couldn't lose this battle or their homeland would be invaded. Not only that the leaders would be executed for failure, and that's even if they survived.