LIGHTERS

Living out our dreams

We're all right

Where we should be.

With my arms out wide

I open my eyes,

All I wanna see

Is a sky full of lighters.

-Lighters, Bruno Mars

Time is the single most precious commodity in the entire universe. We don't have enough of it. So it is up to us to spend it as wisely as we can. I never knew that the moment I set foot outside our house today was the time I would meet someone who would change me forever.

Many hours ago, I had spend the entire daylight perusing the streets with Luke. In that very short time, he had managed to take me back to a time when I had the happiest moments of my life. He had also made me realize that I had known love and I can find love again. In that very short span of daylight, he brought me to my life goal when he took me to help the homeless with him. We may not have given him a home, but by giving him a blanket and some food we had given him hope that there are people out there willing to help him survive life.

In that ample amount of daylight, I had soared the skies when Luke had managed to talk me into sky diving with him. We chased the setting sun and welcomed the rise of the moon as we landed in that hill. Now, Luke has pulled me into a wonderful red dress that fits me perfectly and he had on a suit to match with me. We begin the ascent into the top of a high rise tower that house the most popular Italian restaurant in the country. Food is not the only thing that brings the people here, its 360 degree view of the city is also one factor in the equation.

We make our way to our table and Luke pulls my chair for me. He takes the opposite seat and a waiter takes our order. Another waiter fills our glasses with champagne and we clink our glasses in toast for a useless day perfectly spent. "Do you know what Dom Perigñon said when he made the Champagne?" He asks, his eyes on his glass, swirling its contents slowly in his hand. "What?"

"Come quickly he says." Luke turns his eyes in mine. "I can taste the stars." We stay silent for a minute while our eyes begin to talk with each other. Obsidian to a night sky. Black is suppose to be the color of evil, but now I can attest that black is the color of love. Our love. "I used to read romance novels when I was younger." I say to him. "I never liked it much. The worst thing about it is insta-love. That life changing moment when the girl and the guy meets and they instantly find themselves in love. I think I might be living that cliché." Luke shakes his head. "It might be insta-love for you, but to me? Let's just say, there's a whole lot of backstory before I ended up finding myself back in the same place again and again, waiting for love to come around."

I was curious and I wanted to ask him about the backstory he was talking about but the waiter came with our meal. And you cannot enjoy pizza and pasta with so much questions in your head. So we eat and enjoy the meal in silence, occasionally asking each other random things but never so heavy that it would put us out of our appetite. When the food has gone, music began to play in the background. Luke eyes the dancefloor and asks me for a dance. I take his hand and we made our way to the front. Pulling my hand to his neck and placing his on my waist we begin the slow movement to Frank Sinatra's Witchcraft.