Chapter 6

Note to Reader: This is a shortie!

Thatcher

I opened my eyes.

God, why did I feel like a truck had mowed me over?

Blinking, I carefully turned my head to the side, not wanting to make things worse.

Lorenzo was in a chair next to the bed, his head resting face down next to me, his hand clutching mine.

The beeps of the monitors and the starkness of the tent were both pretty good hints about where I was.

I raised my free hand to touch Lorenzo's hair but stopped short as I realized I was hooked up to an IV.

The movement woke him.

"Hey," he said, the relief clear on his face. "How do you feel?"

"Like shit," I said hoarsely.

He laughed, reaching for a cup next to the bed.

"Here. Have some water."

I took the straw into my mouth and drank a few sips, my throat feeling better for it.

"What happened? I feel like I was almost just in this situation,"I said wryly.

Lorenzo's face turned serious.

"Haas stabbed you after you won. Sam thinks his blade was laced with the same stuff that put you out last time. I'm guessing Haas supplied it," he said grimly.

I cursed.

No wonder I felt like roadkill.

"No offense, but your taste in men isn't very good. Present company excluded, of course," I added.

He smiled.

"None taken." His smile faded. "Why did you throw everything away like that? You were doing so well! You could have won the whole thing!"

I shrugged, careful not to move too much.

"Worth it. Besides, what's the point of getting all those offers if you aren't with me?"

And it was true. The idea of going off without him just hadn't been an option.

He searched my eyes and I met them steadily, confident in how I felt.

"Do you mean that?" he asked.

"Yeah. I do. Are you on the same page?"

He nodded, swallowing.

"Yeah," he said a little wetly. "When I saw you go down like that..." he shook his head as he trailed off.

"Hey," I said, raising my head and squeezing his hand. "I'm going to be okay. I'm tougher than I look."

He laughed.

"Well, you already look like a tank," he said.

I grinned.

"Well, it's not false advertising."

I sighed, relaxing back into the pillow.

At least the bed was big enough for my body, unlike the cot.

I closed my eyes, thinking I might just rest them for a minute. It felt like weights were attached to my eyelids.

"Rest," Lorenzo murmured, kissing my forehead. "You need to heal."

I thought about arguing, but I was already drifting off before I could.

Lorenzo