Prologue

It was late; a slight breeze was blowing through the window of a 17 year old girl’s room. A dog was barking somewhere down the street slightly echoing through the window of the room, but it was drowned out by the sound of clicking and the repetitive sound of a swinging sword. The only light in the room was the flashing of colour and movement from a TV screen as a young girl played a gory game. She sat on her bed her eyes fixed on the screen as her fingers moved with professional speed over the gaming controller. The clock on her bedside table flashed every second showing it was 3:37am. Suddenly the girl let out a small victorious yell as she defeated the final boss in the game, but she was quick to quiet down again remembering her house mate was sleeping. With a sigh she saved her game and turned off the television. Her black blue ponytail swung in the light breeze of her window. She flopped down onto the bed gasping slightly as she bounced. She rolled over and looked at a small photo frame.

“Controller comes out tomorrow mum.” She whispered to a small picture in the photo frame. The picture was of a middle aged woman holding a dark haired chubby baby. The girl smiled at the picture and continued to quietly speak to it. “This could be my big break as a beta tester. It will be the first time we get to use equipment like this too.” The girl yawned and rolled over in her bed rolling the sleeves of her white hoody down. Quietly she began to hum a light tune, almost like a lullaby. Eventually she stopped humming as she drifted off to sleep. As she slept she began to dream, she tossed a little as it filled her mind.

“April.  April Fuller. Hello? Are you there?” A husky male voice continued to call to the girl in her dreamy state. The voice was soft at first but over time it became louder and more stressed, it began screaming at her. “APRIL! GET UP! WAKE UP! YOU CAN’T DIE NOW! I LOVE YOU! PLEASE! REI NEEDS YOU, WAKE UP!” No matter how much the voice called, April couldn’t respond to it. Suddenly, an ear splitting scream ripped through April’s mind as multiple images ran into her head. There was an image of the woman in the picture and a younger version of the blue haired teen. Another was of nine bodies lying around a lab like room, their skin blue and cold representing their lifeless state. The last was of a child with short light blonde hair smiling happily, almost care free. The image faded into darkness as April fell into a deeper sleep.