The Making Of (1/3)

His socks were on and his underwear off. The contrast of sliding his bare leg and concealed foot along the black satin sheets, fresh out of the dryer, did nothing to sufficiently distract him from the sound of running water in his bathroom. The faucets became mute, prompting him to conceal his genital nudity with the comforter. He hadn't another moment to surmise his peculiar situation before the bathroom door opened and he was captured into a mutual gaze.

She smirked, "So? Did I wrap it all up in a nice little bow?" She offered a gentle flaunting of her chest and rear.

He nodded curtly. The woman checked her person yet again, analyzing the corset strings tracing her torso. Her clip-on socks were symmetrical, tidy. It had a black base along with the trim of her favorite color, which added to her confidence. The effort she put into her appearance outweighed her insecurity over his lack of a reaction, so she proceeded onto the bed and straddled his hips over the blanket.  

"Work with me at least a little, alright? Please do believe me when I say that I know I'm not the prettiest girl that's been interested in you-"

"Stop right there," he cut her off while also cupping her wrist and preventing her from exposing him, "You're the only girl who, you know, instead of wanting to fuck or actually try for something with me, asked me to be your sperm bank."

A quiet sigh replied to his confession. Discouraged, she lifted off of him and laid next to him, still maintaining his personal space. She wondered if, considering the thick discomfort of attempting conception in his own home, would a try at hers be much worse? She decided that it didn't matter one way or another because neither versions of her were not getting laid, nor getting a baby. 

"Can you blame me? Even with the bio's, I still won't know the fathers if I go to a clinic, and in-vitro is expensive!"

"If you can't spare that expense, then you clearly aren't in a parental mindset."

"You know that it's not always successful."

"Neither's the old-fashioned way," he distanced himself a bit farther from her, "but that's not enough to break your spirits, is it?"

"Why should I spend anywhere between a small and large fortune on a chance when I can do the same for free, and with someone I know very well and trust?"

Levi pouted at that point in time as her logic hadn't been completely flawed, even if it was half-baked, in his opinion. In the many years the young adults knew one another, an absence of deceit and disloyalty was greatly appreciated and maintained in their relationship. She hadn't passed an ounce of judgement on his dark misdeeds as a younger man, and he offered her a stability in his presence. Their exchanges remained platonic from the moment of acquaintanceship. Therefore, the brusque man was justified in his flustered behavior proceeding his ostensible agreement with her.

"Hey, if you really don't want to do it, I'm not going to make you. I didn't expect it in the first place."

"I don't understand. You never talked about having kids before. Now just because of that incident you're suddenly in a hurry to beat the clock."

She looked away, wishing not to face his accuracy, "Well, it made me realize something I didn't know I wanted. I was never really against having kids, I just never made it my main focus because, obviously, working, getting essentials down, and a pitiful attempt at a social life took priority for my twenties. The doctor telling you your own ovaries are trying to kill you just after your thirtieth birthday makes you reconsider. I've been thinking this through a lot, and I think it'll work out just fine. I really want this."

He knew his closest friend wasn't an idiot. In fact, he would argue that she was smarter than himself. He wondered if she had any money aside; if she was planning to move into a house; if she would allow it to actually watch the modern cartoons aimed at its respective age demographics. Though the both of them were lying scantily clothed in his bed, there was no real action either could take to procreate. The young man reached for the unmarked one-inch binder resting on his nightstand. He then put on his reading glasses.