The Development Of (2/3)

"Took you long enough," he complained as he buckled her seatbelt in.

"Sorry, I'm on the top floor and the elevator's broken."

He clicked his tongue before pulling out of the parking lot. The rides became much more gentle and cautious once she took up space in his passenger seat. Though he planned on picking her up and arriving at his house, her cravings dictated the steering wheel and led them to three different fast-food chains before she decided that she was satisfied. Afterward, he pulled into his garage. She loved seeing his house's exterior, as it had the modernity of an upper glass wall and the classical touch of stone. Plus, it was amusing to see how such a condensed outside could possibly contain the massive space inside. 

"Alright, I have a small surprise for you inside. Be cool about it."

"Is it a prenatal lap dance courtesy of Hugh Jackman?" She asked as he opened her door and offered his arm.

"Much more disappointing," he opened the door to his kitchen and led her to the living room.

"Oh my God! Hey!" She beamed.

"Hey!" The small group replied.

The female populace in the young man's room happened to be good friends of _______. A few she hadn't seen in the better of a year, and seeing all of their faces all at once was a bit overwhelming, so she stood still.

"You look like you were just at a funeral, lighten up! It's your baby shower!" One said.

"Oh... Really? You guys did this for me?"

"It was Levi, actually! He put all of this together and invited us!"

Before she could even glance at him, he led her to the couch, and everybody sat around her. He distanced himself from the clique as he sat beside her, and as a result hadn't paid specific attention to any of the gifts. All he cared about was the fact that nobody seemed to buy her any maternity clothing. Should that happen, then maybe she wouldn't insist on the pragmatism of wearing his shirts rather than getting a new wardrobe.

"Smell this! You're going to have to deal with baby smell for a while, this should mask any other odors!" She offered the scent under her nose before she could object.

The last thing she wanted was for her dearest friend to take offense at her actions. She was delighted with the gifts she received at that point in time, especially considering that she was subject to a surprise and intimate maternity shower. The company could be counted on both hands, unlike the years the group collectively spent together. She was grateful to be a member of such a magnificent confederation. Said friends were attempting to offer their systematic comforting, but their efforts were hindered by Levi.

"You've done enough," he growled, rubbing _______'s back.

"But it's my infraction, therefore my window to make reparations!" She countered.

"You're the only person I know fucked enough to get a coffee-themed gift bag. Who gifts coffee at a baby shower!?"

"To be fair," the woman countered, fixing her glasses, "it was the scented candle that triggered her nausea."

"I was on a month of no incidents until this... Oh-!" She went for another round, experiencing an unfortunate second taste of dinner.

The young man sighed as he left the room briefly then returned with a new shirt, a different bucket, and a wet cloth. The hurling had subsided once he was kneeling beside her. He removed her shirt, wiped her face, and placed the article on her. She was placed back onto the couch next to him. Deep breathing settled her back into a calm state.