The MockingJay's Baby [Hunger Games Fan Fiction]

They were happy. They were finally going to have what they wanted. Peace, love and a family. Was this too much to ask for?

Of course the war was still going but they had something to hang on for. They finally had the proof that their love won’t ever vanish away. They had their baby. After nine months of living in fear, nine months when nothing was sure, nine months of constant arguing over the fact that they had to keep moving so that president Snow wouldn’t figure out their little secret they were finally ready to give the world the big news.

Peeta walked slowly behind his wife’s back and hugged her tightly. She looked so beautiful in that red dress, just like she always did.

“You almost scared me.” she  whispered jokingly attaching one last feather to her hair “You shouldn’t sneak like that on people, you know…”
”I’m sorry I just wanted to hug my lovely wife. That’s indeed a crime.”

They both laughed at their silliness taking one last look in the mirror. They walked quietly to the little pink crib looking at the baby like it was pure gold.

“Who would’ve thought we would be so lucky?” Katniss asked gently taking the little girl in her arms. As soon as her hands touched the baby’s skin her eyes shot open smiling from ear to ear.

“I really don’t know.”

Peeta looked at the two girls in his life. They were his light and at this point he couldn’t imagine life without them.

“Let’s go,” he whispered lightly kissing the little piece of their love. Katniss put her down and took her husband’s hand in her.

“Ready?”

“As I’ll never be.” She answered as they were walking out of their house in front of the people from District 12 that survived the attack. All those people were clapping as their winners waved at them happily.

As Katniss started holding her speech Peeta took a chance to look at the people listening. They were poor people, just like them, fighting for freedom. Fighting against the Capitol, just fighting.  And they were brave. They were sacrificing their lives for the others sake. Many of them thought about him and Katniss as role-models. But Peeta knew that they were the actual models.

He took a look at the sky fighting the urge to go in the middle of the crowd and hug every each and one of them. But instead of looking at a clear sky he saw it grey. Something was wrong. Just three minutes ago there were no signs of rain or storm. It was cleat that something was up. If he could just figure it out… He slowly caressed his wife’s hand making her look at the sky. But the look she had on her face was showing pure horror.

“Bomb coming! Hide immediately!” she screamed at the people gathered in front of them.

But it was too late. They felt as the ground moved making them fall down the stage. The next few seconds was pure chaos. People weren’t looking where they were running, kids were crying and the two were down on the ground trying to get a hold of each other. Katniss was badly injured at her head, Peeta knew this. He could see the blood on her forehead. And all those people running over them like they were some kind of rug made their condition worse, especially hers.

He saw her trying to say something so he tried to come closer to her.

“Peeta? Promise me something!”

He crawled closer to the love of his life careful and brought her closer to his chest gently rocking her back and forth.

“Anything.”

He tried not to cry but he soon felt tears streaming down his face. Katniss smiled weakly whipping one tear that was threatening to fall and placed one light kiss in his hand. Her hand found its way to her left shoulder unclipping  the mocking jay amulet  and put it on his shoulder.

She took one last look at the man that made her the happiest woman in the world before closing her eyes and whispering:

“Take care of our baby.”