Chapter 2- September 1st

-Alice's POV-

 The last few days of summer vacation were a blur. As I expected, dad took a week off of work and spent it at the bar. He came home with a woman, Andrea Colan. I guess you could say that she's pretty, but she's nothing compared to my mom. She has blonde hair which looks like it's been bleached a couple times, and she wears only neon colours. I hate neon colours so much; I think it's like people are asking for attention when they wear it. I prefer paler colours that are almost white but you can still see the colour that it's supposed to be, because then I get the feeling that no one notices me and I like going unnoticed. She smokes and I hate it. She doesn't even go outside when she smokes, she just sits on my mothers Burgundy love seat that's across from the fireplace and smokes. The love seat is getting stains on it that I can't get out. The house is a mess since she's come and she never helps clean up.

I glanced at the clock and realized that I was running late for school. I grabbed my backpack and an apple from the fruit bowl on the table and ran out the door. The bus was waiting for me at the end of the driveway.

"Thank's for waiting for me Carla," I said to my bus driver.

"No problem sweety," she said, smiling. Carla's been my bus driver since kindergarten. She's like a second mother to me. I wish my dad would fall in love with Carla and not Andrea. I can alway's talk to Carla since she's my neighbour. She's been there for me since my grandma died.

I looked down the aisle. Every seat was taken. In the front sat the little kids from elementary, then the middle school kids, and then the high school kids in the back. I was in the third last seat. I usually sit alone but as I reached my seat I saw a boy, probably a bit older than me, slouching by the window listening to music. I hesitated but sat down. He ignored me. The 12th grade boys sat behind me and always annoyed me. They used to bully me about being pudgy until my moms death. Then they all felt sorry for me and I stopped eating. I would have stopped eating if it weren't for my grandma.

The boys next to me had dark brown hair and grey eyes. He was wearing a tan shirt

had a leather backpack on his lap. His hair was ruffled and he clenched his jaw as the bus stopped in front of the school.

https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/hostedimages/1379789303/520990.jpg (Adam Miller)