The Arena Promise

Percy noticed that Annabeth was different when they came back from their quest. At first it wasn't terribly bad, just little things like tapping her foot or biting her fingernails. Then she became tense as if she were waiting for the gun to go off before a race.

Annabeth would often have nightmares and sneak into Percy's cabin late past curfew.

But then something really bad happened- so bad it worried Percy to his core.

He and Annabeth were in the arena sparring with their swords. He could tel lthat she was nervous again but he couldn't figure out why. They had sparred each other hundreds of times before!

Annabeth was becoming more tense with every strike and parry.

Percy brought down his sword over his head at her at a medium pace. He wasn't trying to trick her or anything. It was a move he used quite frequently.

Annabeth saw the sword above her head and paled. She couldn't take it anymore. "Ahh!" She screamed, threw herfelf away from Percy, and landed on her knees. Her hands covered her face.

Percy was so shocked he stopped mid-swing. She had never acted like this before. His heart broke for her when she began to sob. He set down his sword and kneeled next to her. She was shaking violently.

"Annabeth, it's ok. It's just me." He said in a soothing tone of voice. He took off his breastplate and removed her hands from her face. "Wise Girl, look at me."

She reluctantly did. Her gray eyes were drowning in her tears. He wanted to save them with every fiber of his being.

Percy took her right hand and put it on his chest where his heart thudded. She finally began to clam down as he softly spoke to her. "It's okay. We're back. We're alive. We're safe."

"We're safe?" She cried. "We are never going to be okay! We are never going to be normal again!"

"When were we ever normal? We're demigods remember?" His famous mischievous smile played on his lips. Annabeth relaxed a little more. "I'm visiting my mom this weekend," Percy said. "If you want to come, you can."

Annabeth sniffled and nodded. "Thanks, Seaweed Brain." She smiled at the ground.

Percy wrapped her in his arms and held her close. Her hair smelled like honey. He vowed right then to himself that he would never let anything hurt his Wisr Girl this bad ever again.