"Welcome to Fairhope"

What looked like a freshly painted sign met me at the border of town, it said:Welcome to Fairhope. Also neatly clipped shrubs surrounded it as if to say we are a neat place. My call with mom went nicer than I'd thought it would. Actually I half expected it to be a prank call. The news that my father had died put things into perspective for me though.

Guilt washed over me as I drove 35 back into my home town. Seven years and not once had I tried to talk to him and now he, was- 

Adjusting the mirror I saw the reflection on a well trimmed and manicured brunette, who had sworn not to cry, yet. When a moment presented it's self I would cry, for my dad and the years we'd lost, but for now I needed to focus on seeing my family for the first time in a long time.

One main road led into and out of town, Fairhope ave, original I know. The American flag was erected in the center of town, waving proudly. Also the University of Alabama crimson flag was just about everywhere you looked, us southerner's are proud.

There was Mr. Brewster's ice cream shop, a little worn but still open for business. Underneath the green and mint awning was where I had my first kiss on my very first date. Jack Freeman had asked me out, the quarterback! Between his blonde hair and bright blue eyes I'd been lost. 

Laughter bubbled in my chest at the thought of how my father had reacted to my short blue jean skirt and pink poke-a-doted tank.

A curfew at my house was an understatement with Paul Clementine as your daddy. Even so Jack had been a perfect gentleman. Thinking of him brought back fond memories that I shoved into a lock box to examine later. 

Turning left onto Church street my eyes glanced over at our home church. A place where I was saved and baptized, quickly I looked shamefully away. Church wasn't a place I visited these day's. I found my self roaming around town looking at all the places I'd hung out once upon a time. 

Some of these memories were good, other's not so much. Choosing to write about small town life was what I thought would be the easiest things I'd ever do. Little had I known that gushing about everyone's secrets to the world would have consequences. Carl Water's, our senior English teacher, was one person who's life I'd ruined. His wife, Minnie, had been having an affair with half of Fairhope. Hint: I'm the one who told him, through my book. Ms. Hawks' grand daddy had been a confederate solider who deserted his post allowing half the town to be burned in the Civil War, also in my book. After that everyone looked at her differently and her Papaw had lost his case at our local museum.

Many choices made that I was now paying for them. As I circled around and around, even visited the Bay, I realized I was merely avoiding going home. All the people who awaited me at momma's: Aunt Ede, Uncle Burt, My brother Hunter and baby sister Didi. Nieces and nephew's I'd never met, so many eyes on me.

Bile rose in my mouth and for a moment I almost pulled over and vomited. Just Breath, they know you're coming, they want you to.

Actually Mom's voice on the phone had been sweet, like she'd use to talk to me as a little girl. Not with an undertone of sadness.

"Your destination up ahead on the right." Said my GPS, I switched it off. I didn't need it to tell me where my momma's house was...I was home.