Chapter 2

Anthony walked right up behind his friend and looked out the door. His mouth dropped with astonishment at how disgusting the ghetto looked.

            Right behind the people there was a cement brick wall about twelve feet high, covered with graffiti, and barely half of it was legible, with scribbles of color in different shapes and letters. The sidewalk was crumbling underneath the peoples’ weight and there was paper and trash everywhere. Behind the wall were buildings that looked like apartments, and beyond that, there were skyscrapers that touched the clouds. Most of the buildings were old, decrepit, and ready to fall over at any moment.

            The cop bellowed “Get off the train and make a single file line, you lazy asses!”

            Scared to face the consequences, everyone trampled their way out of the car. The one lady that yelled yesterday, to be exact, tried to push the mom’s baby out of her hands as she passed. The mother swore in return to her actions.

            Everyone started to line up. Cooper was the leader of the line, while Anthony was following right behind, chased by everyone else on the train car. The cop that yelled at them before told them to stay intact, and not to lose anyone that was from their train car. They started to walk along the beaten up sidewalk, following the police officer, and passing people that seemed to be in a gaze. Everyone was walking for about five minutes till they reached the entrance to the ghetto.

            The entrance had two large metal gates, the size of the brick walls. They were aged of rust, and elderly vines. Above the gates was a sign that said ‘Clairton.’ It too was covered in the same rust and vines as the gates. The sound of them opening was like razors to everyone’s ears. It was a mixture between nails on a chalkboard, and a high pitched scream. Beyond the gates was a long, narrow hallway, still built of the same cement bricks from outside. Vines and graffiti filled these walls with a ghoulish feeling of murder and lost dreams.

            The temperature seemed to drop 20 degrees when everyone stepped inside the gates. The group chased the police officer down the deep, hoary corridor, till they reached a new set of gates. He opened them up for everyone to hear a sharp, high pitched squeal coming from them, just like the last set.

            Cooper was the first to see through these gates, and what lied behind them.

           The ground was dirt and rocks with the occasional weed popping up. There were apartment buildings that were aged from the environment, they lacked their brightness and luster that they once had. Mold and vines lifted up onto them, leaving no part of the building untouched. The sidewalks outside the buildings were worse inside the ghetto, than what they were outside. They were lifted up in every which way and form, with green moss covering the cracks. The trees and plants were dying and had no sign of life left in them. There was no cement roads, what was left of them were ancient bricks that looked to be enfeebled by all the cars and people. At a distance lied sky scrapers that looked to be of different shapes, and sizes. One thing similar about everything was, it looked to be affected by a nuclear bomb.