Day 1.

Alexis. My best friend since Ms Stacy's first class back in kindergarten laid down in a casket before me. To anyone else seeing their best friend laying lifeless would make them cringe and turn away but the way that Alexis lived I thought this day would come sooner. 

I look behind me to see her family that she hasn't spoken to in the last 8 years and "friends" from her work sobbing and not daring to go near the casket. I found it quite funny because if Alexis were here to see this she'd kick every last person out.

"Mr and Mrs Martin, I know that it is hard now but we will get through it, together." I rested my hand on Mrs Martin's shoulder and lightly squeezed. I don't know the pain that she was going through losing one of the only two children she had but all I could do is give my support. 

" Dominique, would you mind stepping outside with me for a moment?" Mr Martin asked standing up and walking past his wife but not before he gave her a comforting kiss on her forehead. 

"Sure, Mr Martin" I smiled and walked outside next to him. 

We have been outside for thirteen minutes now and he hasn't said one word to me. As he continues to look at me I decide that it is time for me to break the deafening silence. 

"Mr Martin I ... why did you bring me out here?" I said staring at his coffee colored eyes. 

"Dominique, you have been my daughter's friend for many years so I thought it appropriate to give you this" He whispered as he passed me a set of keys. "One of these keys is for Alexis's room and I thought it best if you went through her stuff and decide what needs to go as it would be too difficult for me and the Mrs to do so. The other key is a car key to the brand new Matte black Range Rover that I bought for Alexis's birthday. I want you to pack up everything of hers, put it in the car and drive home to sort it out." By the end of his little speech he was in tears and the only thing I could think to was hug him. So I did. 

Without another word, I left the funeral home that held my best friend's corpse in it. This is going to be a long and tough week. 

I arrived at the Martin's house only to that another car was parked in the driveway. Assuming that it was probably another one of the Martin's luxurious cars I proceeded to unlock the front door with my key. 

I arrived at the top of the stairs only to see that a light was on in Alexis's room. I crept slowly towards the door as to not alert the intruder of my presence. When I got to the door and noticed that the door was off the hinges. I peeked inside and saw a man sitting on the floor going through a photo album. Upon closer inspection I realized that the 'intruder' was none other than Kyle Martin.

"Kyle, I wasn't expecting anyone to be home" I said as I slowly walked to him.

"I wasn't expecting to be here. I heard of Alexis's demise through a family member on Snapchat. Funny how your parents don't call to tell you that your sister died huh?" He said to me but never took his eyes off the picture of him and my sister at the playground on the swings.

"Yeah, death isn't something to just tell someone about especially if it's a close family member's death. If it makes you feel better people who haven't spoken to Alexis in years are at the funeral home waling over her corpse."

" Ha, death is one of the things that brings family and friends together, unfortunately." He said finally looking at me. In the brief moment that his hazel eyes met my blue eyes I think I melted.

"Well, um, um, maybe I should come back to tomorrow and start sorting out Alexis's belongings" I uttered. 

"Maybe I can help you with that." he grinned.

"Yeah, maybe you can." I blushed and walked out of the room. 

I walked outside and got inside the Alexis's almost Range Rover and left the driveway, looking up in my rear view mirror at the house.

I arrived at my townhouse in the tiny gated community filled with friendly neighbors and boys playing hockey in the street while the neighborhood girls complained that they should be allowed to play because they are ' just as good as any snot nosed, sport obsessed boys who make up rules as they go along.' 

I entered my house and immediately found myself in my spacious living room laying down on the couch that engulfed my in softness.

Alexis, why you? What am I supposed to do without you? You were the only thing that kept me stable. You kept me from kicking my boss in his limp dick whenever he hit on me at the office and you stopped me from telling Jessica, that nosy secretary, all about how her husband slept with Jason from down the block. Without you I am alone. No family and especially no friends to turn to I am lost. Alexis please Return If Possible because I can't do this without you. 

With no one else to turn to I found myself dialing the number of the one person I said I would never speak to again.

"Hey Duncan... would you mind coming over?"

"I'm on my way babe" I said and I could almost see that famous cocky smile of his.

Within twenty minutes Duncan had arrived at my house and we were currently cuddled up on the couch watching 'Suicide Squad' on the big screen in the game room. 

I had almost fallen asleep in his arms and just for a moment, a brief moment, an extremely brief moment, I forgot why I was sad.