Lucid Dreams

Have you ever heard of a lucid dream? The best way to explain it would be... Consciousness in a dream. Once you have that, anything's possible. I'd never had one before, and, honestly? I'd always wanted to. I guess that's what led me to try it.

Circulating around the internet, people had come up with a way to do it. All you had to do was lie in bed, and ignore all the urges to move you had. If you did this, your body would go to sleep, but in the dream, your consciousness would be awake.

This is a lie. A huge, terrifying lie. I plead for you not to try this, because once I awoke in my dream, I found myself in... My bed? No... This wasn't my bed. It didn't feel... Right. In fact, it felt incredibly wrong. I got up immediately, shaking, and headed to the window, to check my surroundings. What I saw was... Unsettling, at least.

It looked like a twisted version of our world. Red sky, grey sun, the plants were orange and black. It was undeniably creepy, like something out of a horror movie. This wasn't good. Then, a heavy footstep outside my door made me jump. What was that?! About ten seconds later, another footstep.

It was getting closer. Every ten seconds, like clockwork. I could tell this was a nightmare, I could tell I needed to wake up. The strange thing was, I couldn't. I pinched myself, willed myself, but, nothing. Now, I'm not one to cry, never have been, but with whatever was outside getting closer, and no escape, I was starting to panic.

I looked around the room. The pictures on the walls glared at me, with wide smiles, following my very little movement. I could feel their eyes burning into my soul, and I had never been more terrified.

There was nothing I could use to protect myself, aside from a few thick books, but honestly, I wasn't ready to see the horrors they probably held. It was then that the footsteps got faster, now every 5 seconds. I suppose I was lucky it took a few minutes. God damn it. Books it is, then.

I picked up the one with a less offensive title, and glanced at the cover apprehensively. I threw it on the floor immediately, shuddering. Spiders. It just had to be. The cover consisted of a moving, writhing ball of the eight legged creatures, scuttling and hissing.

This was when the pictures on the wall started laughing at my disgust, just as there was a knock at the door.