CHAPTER XIII: The Book of Enlightenment

I was already in my room, my wife was already sleeping on the bed and I kept on looking at the book. It was very strange and old, I had to read what was inside. But drowsiness and sleep's invite to me triumphed. I slowly laid on my bed with my wife, closed my eyes and was already drifting in slumber. I awoke when a boy, about 5 years of age, with blond hair and blue eyes stood before me, it was a rather strange sight to behold.

It was the same boy I had seen earlier!

He was smiling and saying:

"Mister, please read the book. Father would be very glad if you would!"

At these words, I was shocked and the next thing I knew was that I was back in my room. I was sweating very hard and the cold wind was worse than ever outside my window, I looked for the clock, it said 3:25 A.M.

"Another dream!" I said to myself, and there it was, the book on my table. I took the lamp beside our bed and placed it near the book to get a clearer view. The book was wrinkled by time, I opened it. It was not very thick and a few pages has been ripped already. It said on jet-black fountain ink pen:

Personal Property of "Joneddy"

I was shocked. It was the boy's journal, the one described by the priest in his story.

I quickly flipped through the pages, the first pages were all very much crude already and they seemed to have been very wet, but the first legible page I saw was about the boy's true doings inside his school!

It was dumbfounding to see the real page where he wrote it. He had a very lovely penmanship. Then, suddenly I noticed a sheet of paper inserted to the journal, I flipped to it's part. It was a very large sheet of paper. I quickly unfolded it and what was written was beyond words imaginable:

"Dear Mary Regina Scully,

It seems that the branch that fell from me last week's playing with my dear Edward has taken toll of my life. I leave you my dear beloved to take care of him and always remember that God loves all of you. I remember the time that I had a crisis in my faith in the Lord, because I was torn between becoming a priest or your husband for the rest of my life. I remember always questioning Him on why He would not anymore lead me on becoming a priest. Now, I realize that it was all for the greater good. I have had 5 children, all beautiful and handsome and ever ready to serve the Lord. I pray to Almighty God that I might not yet leave this world because I do not want them to grow up without a Father like me, when I lost both my Mother and Father in a fire that broke out of our house one night. It was hard but it helped me become stronger and become the person I am today. Maybe it is for the greater good of them, that I will leave them early. I admonish them that they might grow up to become law-abiding citizens and faithful servants of the Lord someday. I am not angry at my little Edward for letting a branch fall on me, I even thank him! Because I often prayed to the Lord that I might become a martyr for Him but now it is fine for me that I am a martyr of a Father's love. Very similar to what Jesus did on the cross right? I will always be with you my love, maybe not physically but spiritually. Amen.

In Jesus and Mary's loving arms may you all stay! Until we meet again!"

I froze, not a word came from my mouth.

I tried to speak but it was naught, I tried to move but what I just read was too much. Father and the saintly boy the kitchen owner and Father told me about, was my own Father all along!

I stepped back, I sat on the bed covering my face and wiping the tears from my eyes. I felt apologetic for my father even more, what a holy man he was! How much greater things he could have done! Oh Father!

I cried and sobbed even more. I was already on the ground still clutching the letter. I knew that my Father was religious and pious but not that quite saintly!

What a fool I was! I never appreciated the sacrifice my Father did for me, I am now even wasting my life. I am sorry oh dear Lord! Forgive me for doubting Your existence and love.