Fizzles to Fireballs

I launched a ball of flames from my hand, excited because it was the first success throughout the week Leviana had been tutoring me. Then it fizzled and glee turned to disappointment.

"Damn it!"

"You're not doing it right, Sam. You can't get frustrated when you fail, otherwise you are creating a block that will stand in your way forever." She said, almost scolding, but more concerned. "You'll get it, you just need to calm yourself."

I took a couple deep breaths, cleared my mind, and prepared another blast. As a second fireball began to leave my palm, but dissolved to another fizzle.

"Let's take a break," Leviana finally stopped me, seeing my frustration beginning to bubble over.

"Fine. What do you propose we do, Leviana?"

"I propose you call me Levi, rather than Leviana." She snapped quickly. "And perhaps we should get some food before the supervisors clean up for the night."

A short while later, we were back in our designated tutoring spot. Leviana decided on smoked sausage and white rice, while I ate shredded pork meat on buttered toast, one of my favourites. We finished our food and remained seated. We spoke at length, into the night. I learned a considerable amount about Leviana that evening.

"Well, I came to this camp because my mother resented me and my talents after my father accidentally killed himself while practicing a lightning spell," Leviana explained, "After he died, I swore on his honour I would become a Battlemage to restore his reputation."

It seemed fated that we should have met and become friends, she falling out with her mother and I falling out with my father. I knew then our destinies would be intertwined for a while to come.

Just before midnight, one of the supervisors came to remind us it was lights-out. Leviana and I bid each other goodnight and headed to our respective dorms for the night.