Chapter 26

Jasmine

The water felt good on her face, but it did little to stop the pain gripping her chest. Jasmine looked at herself in the mirror, running her wet hands through her hair. Why couldn't Luke just stay away from her head and her heart? He'd broken it last night, and yet the shards still yearned for him – for his touch, for his voice . . .

Augustus was going through a hell of a time, and for as many feelings as she has for him, could she really say that being a rebound had nothing to do with what happened? He was beautiful and smart and had a draw to him, but a sliver of doubt remained.

Luke doesn't deserve your love, she thought. Augustus does. She wondered then, if she were truly even capable of love; opening up to someone was one thing, but staying that way? That was something else entirely.

Daggers of guilt stabbed at Jasmine, what she had done for the man was underhanded, but she warned that foolish girl. She warned her.

Jasmine stuck her hand in her coat and produced her phone, looking it over – her heart sank when she saw nothing from Luke, but it lifted when she noticed a message from Augustus.

Ugh. It's like I'm living in hell. Can't stop worshipping the porcelain God.

Hopefully he'll get better soon. Jasmine smiled, texting him back.

Stay strong, I'll come over after work.

Pocketing her phone, Jasmine left the bathroom and worked her way to the clinic where she had heard that a patient was waiting to be seen specifically by her. Jasmine's clinic duty didn't start for another hour, but she figured it wouldn't take too terribly long.

Jasmine looked over to the nurse, "Hey Francine, which room needs me?"

The chubby little nurse smiled, "One sec," she said, putting up a finger and checking her logs. "22B."

"Thanks," Jasmine chirped before walking some distance to the specified room. She grabbed the chart on the middle of the door and looked it over. Mysterious leg pain, requesting Doctor Giuseppe – seems interesting enough. Probably a junkie.

Opening the door, Jasmine was greeted by a peculiar looking woman. "What's up Doc," she said, her voice feminine but with a certain hard edge to it, she smiled brightly and chuckled to herself, lifting her chin and restlessly moving her feet. The woman had bright, firetruck red hair, and her lips were pierced on each end. She was beautiful, but in a kind of rebellious way – like a punk rocker type. Whoever was dating her, if anyone, must have been a little crazy to be sticking their dick in that. But damn, did that girl ever have the bluest eyes – like two pale crystals they just kind of drew you in. Her bust was even more impressive than Jasmine's, what with it nearly spilling out of her black blouse. The woman rocked a pair of dark stonewash jeans, holes cut in places here and there, other ends of the denim stylistically frayed for maximum 'I don't give a fuck'.

Jasmine shut the door behind her, giving her customary smile. "Hello miss . . . Rochester, is it?"

The girl smirked like a she-wolf, "Yeah you got it," her eyes practically undressed Jasmine inch by inch, she felt almost naked in the girl's presence. Weirdoes were common in the clinic.

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you," Jasmine padded over to her rolling barstool, sliding over to the girl and extending a hand, "I'm Doctor Giuseppe."

The woman's smirk, sharp as a knife, never left her face. She rejected the hand shake altogether. Okay . . . weird. Guess that's what I get for being polite.

Jasmine raised her brows for a second and backed away, "Anyway, what seems to be the issue? It says on your chart that you're experiencing pain in your leg?"