Chapter 3 ♧

• Mason's POV •
I don't remember much about that night. But I do remember the knife, and the blood. There was so much blood.
*FLASHBACK 1 YEAR AGO*
"Claire! Where are you?!"
"She's not here Brendan." I said, not even glancing up from the TV.
"Where the hell is she? She was supposed to meet me here. If she's not here in 20 minutes I'll-
I felt my body tense up. "You hit her again, and I will kill you. Understand?"
He looked shocked, but didn't have enough time to respond, because Claire chose that moment to walk through the front door.
"Hey Mase, hey babe." she said, putting her bag on the kitchen counter.
"Where were you? I called 20 times! Learn how to answer the damn phone!"
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my sister take a few steps back. She picked up a knife and hid it behind her back.
"I told you Brendan, I was tutoring! I can't have my phone on me when I tutor! Brendan took a step forward, hand outstretched, reaching for my sisters face. Before I could get up, my sister had already stabbed him with the knife. He slid down the wall, leaving a trail of blood.
My sisters face paled. "Is he... dead?!
"I think so Claire bear."
She dropped the knife and ran over to me. "I didn't mean to kill him, I really didn't." Her tears soaked my Nike shirt.
"What's going to happen to me now?" She said, still sniffling.
"Nothing. Because I'm taking the blame."
It's hard to imagine that was over a year ago. Now, I get to sit in a cell. The only thing keeping me sane was my notebook. My notebook was my safe haven. At least, it was. Until I met Jenessa Hollis.