Buckbeak

I have drawings of Maddy, Bella and Elliot on my Toyhouse ( toyhou. se/ postmortempixie/ characters/ folder: 110419/ order: name/ 1 )

At eight that night, Maddy went to Binns' classroom, as she had been told to go earlier that day, finding that Harry and Bella were there already. She said a quick hello to each of them before Lupin entered the room, carrying a large packing case that he placed on Binns' desk.

"What's that?" Harry asked.

"Another boggart," said Lupin, stripping off his cloak. "I've been combing the castle ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, I found this one lurking inside Mr Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real dementor. The boggart will turn into a dementor when he sees you, so we'll be able to practice on him. I can store him in my office when we're not using him; there's a cupboard under my desk he'll like."

"Okay," said Harry.

"You stay five feet ahead of me," Maddy whispered to him.

"Yeah me, too," Bella agreed.

"Are you two sure you don't want a go at the boggart?" Lupin asked. Maddy and Bella jumped and quickly and fervently denied it. "That's quite alright," he reassured them. "So..." he took out his own wand, and indicated that Harry should do the same. "The spell I am going to try and teach you is highly advanced magic, well beyond ordinary Wizarding Level. It is called the Patronus Charm."

"Oh, I've heard of that," Bella nodded. "They're really pretty! But, I thought Patronus' were used for communication."

"They are often used for that as well."

"How does it work?" Harry asked nervously.

"Well, when it works correctly, It conjures up a Patronus," said Lupin, "which is a kind of anti-dementor, a guardian that acts as a shield between you and the dementor."

"So like a giant, floating shield?" Maddy asked, picturing herself crouching behind a huge, semi-transparent, circle as a dementor repeatedly rammed into it.

"Not exactly, the Patronus is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the dementor feeds upon -hope, happiness, the desire to survive- but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the dementors can't hurt it and they each is unique to the wizard who casts it in shape."

"I've only ever seen animal shaped ones..." Bella noted.

"And they only ever are animals, but never magical ones."

"How do you conjure one?" Harry wondered.

"With an incantation, which will work only if you are concentrating, with all your might, on a single, very happy memory," Lupin answered.

Maddy began to cast her mind around, avoiding any memories of Maude since those had begun to make her cry as of recent. She was drawing a blank. Remembering things that were actually Patronus strength good.

"Right," Harry said after a minute.

"Got one!" Bella chimed.

A few minutes later Maddy said, "I'm not coming up with anything really good."

Bella gaped at her and said, "Are you saying that our precious time spent together isn't good to you."

"No, I mean it's like worlds better than spending time with like Malfoy, but-"

"How dare you," she said darkly.

"Are you sure that you can't think of any good memories?" Lupin asked.