Horrible Fate

a few weeks later//

Alexa's birthday was coming up and she wanted him to meet her family. Honestly, he was nervous. He didn't even know what they were. They didn't really have that conversation yet. But he wanted her to meet his family too. He heard his single mother recently started dating again and him having a potential step father in the near future, Cameron felt ready. He was currently on the way to her house for dinner. Ryan was driving him. He was finally off crutches and with a nice black boot, matching his suit. On top of impressing the dad, Alexa had an older brother as well. He can only imagine how protective he was. He had to admit he was a bit nervous.

But once he walked up their front steps and was greeted by his beautiful girl, he felt better. "Wow, you look beautiful. Happy Birthday princess." Alexa blushed with a shy "Thanks" and kissed him on the cheek before waving goodbye at Ryan. He had the window down and was waving. "Just text me. And try not to get fried."

Once he stepped foot into the cozy one-story, he was bombarded by a man who could only be Alexa's dad wearing an apron and holding a crock pot. "Hey Cam! Mind if I call you Cam? Just call me Jeff! Come inside! Welcome to the humble abode! Dinner's ready in a few." Before he could reply, Jeff was already gone. Alexa giggled. "He fills the dad and mom roles of the house. Don't worry, his food is good." Cameron laughed as she led him to the dining room.

Her brother was sitting at the dinner table, looking down at his phone. When he saw Cameron, he stood up and walked over with a small smile. "Hi, you must be Cameron. I'm Alex." They shook hands. So it was Alex and Alexa. Smart. They all sat down and made small talk before Jeff came back with all the food.

Cameron offered to help, but he wouldn't let him. Finally, they broke bread. Alexa and Cameron sat across from Jeff and Alex. "So Cameron, I'm sorry it's not much. Their mother was a better cook. Can't help but feel the table's a bit lonely. But we're glad you're here!" Cameron didn't know how to respond to his almost tearful apology. "Dad! Don't cry! We barely started eating!" Jeff laughed. "Right! Sorry, enjoy." Cameron forced a smile.

"No i-it tastes great. And I know how it feels. Just my brother and mom at home anyway." Jeff looked surprised. "Oh, what a coincidence." It was awkward for a bit. He noticed Alexa looking a little nervous so he tried something. "So what do you do Alex?" The brother looked up. "I'm an editor for a publishing company." It was silent for a bit. "It gets to my head so I'm here for vacation." Cameron nods before Jeff asks, "What does your mother do Cameron?"

"She works at an insurance company in the city." All three looked up in surprise. "Really? I work in the city as well! Which insurance company?" Cameron swallowed. "InsureCare?" Alexa almost choked on her beef. Jeff's eyes grew big. "Wow, what a small world." Cameron laughed awkwardly. "Do you know my mom, Lorie Huff?" The dining table was silent for a long ten seconds. I'll take that as a yes. 

Cameron clutched the small box that was inside his suit pocket. It was Alexa's birthday present. Alexa looked over at her dad. What was this thick tension? "What dad, what?" Alex was just sitting quietly in his seat, halfway putting the fork in his mouth when Jeff answered, "Um, Lorie is the friend from work I've been seeing." Everyone stopped moving. You could no longer hear the silverware against the food. Alex sighed before standing up. Alexa's jaw dropped and Cameron felt himself sinking into his chair a bit. Now the tension was so thick you couldn't even cut it with a steak knife.

"I mean it's not like you agreed to marrying or something? Why is it such a big deal?" The frustration in Alexa's voice was eminent. Cameron could see right through her. She was happy for her dad, but this was a weird situation. Before Jeff could say anything, Alex interrupted. "Alexa, outside. Now." His scary eyes pulled her out of the room and left Cameron alone with his likely future stepdad. They just sat in silence for a while. Alex's faint voice could be heard from the door.

"I'm sorry." Cameron looked up surprised. Jeff's face was red. "I should've realized sooner. Lorie has shown me family pictures, but I wasn't paying attention." He sighed before standing up to put the dishes away. Cameron was stuck in his seat. Would it be weird to go out with your step sister? Yeah, probably. 

Outside //

"I'm not breaking up with him Alex!" 

"Even after knowing about dad?!"

"I liked Cameron first!"

"This isn't a competition! What's done is done!"

"Why do I have to lose?!"

"You sound like a little girl you know that right?"

"You're just saying that because you don't want to lose me too!"

It was suddenly silent. Alexa's lip quivered. Alex grew quieter. "You're right. I am afraid. If mom didn't have us then she would still be-"

"STOP! You don't know what you're-" 

"DAD WOULD BE HAPPY!"

Alexa looked up at her brother. She buried her face in her hands. "I know it's not fair. I know I'm being selfish. But Cameron makes me so happy."

Alex let out a frustrated yell as he kicked a rock onto the street. 

"You know this isn't going to work out either way. It's your choice." He turned and walked back into the house. Alexa was left to cry. What a crappy birthday present. She exhaled loudly before falling back onto the grass. She stretched out her arms and legs. I wish it wasn't my choice.

The sound of a truck pulling up brought her back. "Hey birthday girl. Is the party on the front lawn?" She slowly sat up. Ryan's grin dropped into a frown. "What's wrong? Where's Cameron?" Just then, Cameron started slowly making his way towards the truck.

When he got to Alexa, he put his arm around her shoulder and said, "Meet your potential step sister in law." Ryan's eyes grew big. "What the hell are you-" He couldn't finish his sentence. Cameron got into the passenger seat. He looked out the window at Alexa's red eyes and nose. "Don't worry princess. Things will work out. See you in math." Alexa sniffled and nodded, forcing a smile. 

Ryan waved as they drove off. Alexa sat alone in her front lawn. Jerk.