Chapter 10

*J's POV*
I am completely and utterly miserable. I have been contemplating running away for the past hour or so, but I cannot bring myself to do it. Cowardice is worse than misery, and running away from my current problems will not aid in finding a solution to them. I just need to push myself forward, and I have to suppress those thoughts.

I have not left this house at all today, and Matt's parents have not come to check on me either. I have a feeling that Matt lied and said that he had already done it.

Just thinking about him causes my body to shake, and I immediately attempt to erase him from my thoughts. However, that was not a very great idea, because he came to mind next.

Flashback
It's been two weeks since Luke's proud "lesson" that he believes he taught me. I have not slept very well since, and I watch my back no matter where I go. I am absolutely terrified of him and what he may do next.

Kate, the only friend I have, and I are getting ready to watch sappy romantic movies and eat a large amount of ice cream. Just as she settles into the couch, her phone screen lights up from a text message.

Luke the douche: hey pretty lady. Let's meet up and talk. Just the two of us. How does that sound?

Kate: No thank you.

Luke the douche: No isn't an option. The woods behind the football field. 830 tonight. No exceptions.

She stared at me not knowing how to respond to that.

"Well it's 7:30 now, so I'd get yourself together and go," I look at her with fear in my eyes.

"No I can't leave you here. I don't want to meet up with that bastard. He probably only wants sex and I will not give him that," Kate looks at me in all seriousness and I nod my head.

"Here's your solution. I'll come with you and hide myself among the bushes. I'll have a perfect view of the field and I can get you out of there if something goes wrong. If you don't go, he'll hurt you, or he'll take it out on me and you know I can't take anymore of his abuse. I'm sorry Kate. I love you, but you need to do this for me. Please," I beg her.

"Alright fine. I'll go. But the minute he starts his bullshit, I'm out."

We change into comfortable clothes and make our way out to her car. I lie down across the back seats just in case he has someone watching. For her safety, I cannot risk him seeing me tonight.

The field appears to be deserted once we arrive. I notice that it's way too quiet for Luke to be here. Just as I'm about to tell Kate to take off, a smiling Luke appears at the edge of the tree line.

Kate gets out of the car as I sneak out at the same time, and she locks the doors before heading toward Luke.

I crouched down in the bushes being extremely cautious and hiding myself carefully. I watch as Luke's smile turns into a devilish grin as Kate gets closer. My stomach flips and I know she needs to get out of there. Now.

I reach into my pocket to grab my phone, but I was not quick enough. Luke's laugh rang in my ears and I was frozen in place.

"Hey there Katie. You're looking mighty trashy tonight. Let's have some fun, yeah? Oh and J, my favorite little J, since I know you're here somewhere, this one's for you baby."

The next few moments seem to occur in slow motion. The knife he had been slowing moving toward her, is now impaled in her chest. Her screams and my silent breakdown begin simultaneously. I don't know how much time passed between her screams and the arrival of the police. I don't know how I wound up covered in a blanket in the back of a police car. I don't even remember explaining every painstaking detail to the officer who was attempting to console me.