Chapter 12

Chapter 12

“And why won’t you tell me where you’re going?” I asked Will as we sat in his car in my driveway.  Remy was already inside and Will wouldn’t tell me anything about what he was going to do.

“Because I don’t want you to figure anything out,” he said, turning his head toward me and giving me his most irresistible smile.  “I don’t want to ruin any surprises.”

“You know I hate surprises, right?  There normally not very good for me,” I said.

“Well, I guess you’ll just have to find out when the time comes,” he said.  “Now hurry up and kiss me, because I’ve got to leave.”

“Fine,” I said, leaning over toward him.  I gave him a kiss.  “You’re going to have to tell me sometime, you know.”

I got out of the car and started toward the door.  I got to the steps and turned around.  I saw Will wave as he backed out and I waved back. 

When I got up to my room, I heard the phone ring.  I waited for someone to answer it.  But when they didn’t, I ran to get it.  I answered it breathlessly.

“Hello?” I said.

“Hey, Reagan, it’s Rebecca.”

“Oh, hey,” I said.  “What’s up?”

“Can you come pick me up?  My parents are going out and they won’t be able to take me,” Rebecca said.

“Sure,” I said.  “We’ll come pick you up before we go get Tyler and Carlee.”

“Okay,” she said.  “I’ll see you in a little while.”

“Okay.  Bye,” I said, and then hung up.

I walked through our closet into Remy’s room.  She was looking at two different outfits on her bed, trying to choose from them.

“We’re going to pick up Rebecca before we go get Tyler and Carlee,” I said, sitting down on her bed.

“Okay,” she said, still looking down at the clothes on her bed.  “Which one should I wear?”

“I don’t know.  Just pick one,” I said.

“I can’t just pick one,” she said, rolling her eyes.

“Well, just don’t take so long that we’re late.  We’re going to have to leave earlier since we have to go pick up Rebecca.”

“I guess we’ll be driving the Escalade,” she said.

“You mean I’ll be driving the Escalade,” I said, smiling.

“Yep,” she said.

“Just don’t take forever,” I said, standing up and walking back into my room.

“So where do Tyler and Carlee live?” Remy asked as we backed out of Rebecca’s driveway.

“They live down the street from Kara,” I said.  “You know that big new house that they were building at the end of her road?  That’s the one.”

“Oh,” Remy said.

Rebecca was quiet in the back seat.  She seemed nervous.  I didn’t know why she could have been, though.  At lease, she shouldn’t have been.

“You sure are quiet back there,” I said, looking at her in the rearview mirror.

“Oh, sorry,” she said.  “I’m just thinking about something.”