Chapter Four

Jack's eyes cleared. A pale sixteen year old boy with combed back black hair and haunting black eyes laced with worry stared back at him. His plaid shirt was slightly rumpled, which Jack found very surprising. He had never seen a time when David Jacobs hadn't looked crisp and perfectly clean.

"Jack, oh my gosh," Davey sighed. "Are you alright?"

Jack's voice threatened to fail him, "Da-Davey?" He choked out. Davey ran a hand through his hair, watching Jack closely. "Whaddaya' doin' here?"

"Stars called me," He knelt down next to Jack's bed. "She... She told me what happened. I'm so sorry."

"Ya' got nothin' to be sorry about," Jack turned away from Davey. He hated to admit it, but he was still mad at the Jacobs for leaving him behind. He didn't expect to ever see his old "brother" ever again.

"I know you're upset, Jack. You could have told us," Davey said gently. "We could have helped you."

"No ya' couldn't," Jack whispered. "No one could've."

"That isn't true, Jack. You know I would have been right there if you called me."

Sure ya' would've. Jack thought bitterly. "Dave, it's okay. Really."

"No it isn't!" Davey threw his hands in the air exasperatedly. "Jack, you know my parents would have done everything to get you back and-"

"Davey?" A voice asked at the door. Jack looked up. A young boy stood in the doorway, fiddling with his hands nervously. "Can I come in now?"

"Sure, Les," Davey waved the young boy inside.

So that was Les. The little boy who had replaced Jack in the Jacobs family. Jack felt himself harden up. He didn't want to meet the reason his life ended.

"Hi," Les stuck out a small skinny arm for Jack to take. "I'm Les."

Jack took Les' hand, shaking it. "Hiya, Les," He looked at Davey expectantly. "How old are ya' anyway?"

Les grinned, "I'm ten... almost..."

The hard feeling inside of Jack melted away. He wanted so hard to be mad at the little boy, but after meeting him for the first time, he just couldn't.

"What a great age to be, ten almost," Jack smiled, winking. Les' grin grew. Davey seemed to relax. It seemed he was also waiting for Jack to push away his little brother.

"Why are you here, Jack?" Les asked innocently. Davey paled. Jack's smile faded, past events flashing before his eyes.

"Les-" Davey warned.

"Dave, it's fine," Jack interrupted, staring at his hands. "I'm here because I got hurt, Les. Someone hurt me."

"I'm sorry, Jack," Les said. Jack was thankful that the little boy hadn't asked him how he was hurt or who had hurt him. He wasn't sure how he would have answered.

"Jack?" There was a knock at the door.

"Hi, Detective LaMointe," Jack managed to give Hannah a weak smile.

"Would you mind if I spoke with you privately?" Hannah asked, stepping into the room. Jack simply nodded.

"I'll see you later then, Jack," Davey took Les by the hand. "Call me if you want to talk."

"Sure," Jack waved limply. "See ya' later, Davey. Bye, Les," He smiled at Davey's little brother.

"Good bye, Jack! I hope you feel better!" Les waved brightly.