Chapter 7

"Certainly, madam," returned the master, courteously. "It is a little portable observatory I had made for just such emergencies as this. But, tell me, is it true that you are doomed to follow me about for one mortal hour -- to stand where I stand, to sit where I sit?"

     "That is my delectable fate," returned the lady.

     "We'll go out on the lake," said the master, starting up.

     "You can't get rid of me that way," returned the ghost. "The water won't swallow me up; in fact, it will just add to my present bulk."

     "Nevertheless," said the master, firmly, "we will go out on the lake."

     "But, my dear sir," returned the ghost, with a pale reluctance, "it is fearfully cold out there.

     You will be frozen hard before you've been out ten minutes."

     "Oh no, I'll not," replied the master. "I am very warmly dressed. Come!" This last in a tone of command that made the ghost ripple.

     And they started.

     They had not gone far before the water ghost showed signs of distress.

     "You walk too slowly," she said. "I am nearly frozen. My knees are so stiff now I can hardly move. I beseech you to accelerate your step."

     "I should like to oblige a lady," returned the master, courteously, "but my clothes are rather heavy, and a hundred yards an hour is about my speed. Indeed, I think we would better sit down here on this snowdrift and talk matters over."

     "Do not! Do not do so, I beg!" cried the ghost. "Let me move on. I feel myself growing rigid as it is. If we stop here, I shall be frozen stiff."