Chapter thirty-one: Oh crap

"I need to buy skates." Sean was the first to nervously move across the moving crystals. "Claes, will you remind me to write it down in your notebook?"

"Less talking, more walking." Claes put his arms out to keep his balance. "It's like walking on ice."

"That's why I need skates," Sean said again. I looked above my shoulder to see Chloriette, Lenard, and Victor also focusing on their balance so they wouldn't fall into the huge gap. It was like walking through an earthquake.

My eyes trailed downwards until they landed on the crystals beneath our feet. Behind the transparent surface, all I could see was darkness. It made us look like we're flying towards the portal.

We stood before a crystal that doesn't move a single inch. "Okay, here's what we're going to do, the five of us will go to the portal, and you will get the key." Claes looked at me.

"And why me, exactly . . . ?" I asked. Then I realized why. "Oh, right . . . I can fly. It'll be easier for me to get there and to the portal."

"Yeah, about that . . ." Lenard stared at the red crystal. "I think the island has its tricks on its sleeve." We followed his gaze and saw an open area of the red giant crystal until huge shards abruptly went up and down every time the crystal floor made a gap.

I shook my head. "I really should stop saying things like that."

"Careful now, and make sure you don't let the spiky ones tear your pants to shreds." Victor never took his eyes off the view.

"Luckily, I brought a pair," I muttered under my breath, which is true. Before I started hovering, Claes and the others carefully went to the gate. I prayed to the Almighty of the heavens to keep me safe (as well as my pants). While taking flight, I carefully looked left and right before stopping whenever a tall crystal spike was about to impale me with its sharp, pointy end as a huge hole opened.

I have to be very, VERY, careful, I told myself. The red crystal is just straight ahead. I had no idea what this island was capable of, but it's better not to do something reckless. I sped up a little bit. The weird part was that the sharp crystals soared and descended quite fast. "This is not good," I commented. Even though I flew high enough to avoid the spikes, it adjusted its height just to reach me. I kept on dodging as quickly as possible. 

"All right, the only way to get through. . . is through." I unsheathed the claymore as its blade igniting until I sensed its power. I sliced at every crystal that blocked my way, even the ones beneath me.

I'm almost there! The string was attached at the top of the red crystal. I reached out with my left hand, hoping to get the key. Unexpectedly, the red crystal ascended and transformed into a red, gigantic, serpent-like creature. With white gems for eyes, sharp diamonds as fangs, and one, thick, spiky, slithering red crystal as its body. Its appearance was enough for me to say, Oh crap. The key was nowhere to be found. It must have been swallowed by the red crystal serpent. The monster released a powerful shriek that I'm not proud to hear. (Especially when the shriek was loud as my sisters' . . .or Lenard's).

"Okay, now's the good time to say 'oh crap!'"

The serpent lunged at me with its opened jaw, but I flew around it. I took a glance and saw the serpent three feet away from me. "Oh crap!" I said it again. While I dodged my way to survival, I'm thinking of a plan to get the key and save my butt, of course, including my pants. I looked at the serpent, opening its jaw once again. A light caught my eye, that was the time I saw the key hanging on its Uvula. Eww.

I finally thought of what to do. I looked to where Claes and the others were. They're almost at the gate, but there's a catch. The crystal ground they're standing on moved and all of a sudden, five crystals appeared. The five changed into Claes, Sean, Chloriette, Victor, and Lenard. Going fire against fire.