chapter 2

• Dedicated to Rachel Vogel

***Ren***

I walk aimlessly to the address I was given to meet with this pack's Alpha. Why did she run away? How could she think I was disgusted with her? I'll find her after this. I press the doorbell and wait for someone to answer. A man just a little shorter than me answers the door, it's obvious he's the Alpha I've come to talk to.

"Good Morning Alpha Grande. I'm new to the area and was planning to stay for a little but I wanted to check if it was okay. Seeing as I'm rogue and don't belong to your pack." I tell the middle aged man well maybe younger than that.

"Of course. What is your name may I ask?"

"Ren Tyler Frosten. I really appreciate it Alpha Grande."

"Call me Drake. Would you like to come in for a drink?" He invites. I smile.

"I'd love to but I need to go find a place to stay. And a job."

"Well come inside and I might be able to help." He gestures for me to step inside. "What brings you to the area?" He asks at the same time as someone gasps softly. I look up and catch the eyes of my little mate.

"Thank you Drake. I was staying to look around for my mate. looks like it won't take as long as I thought." I tell him.

"Lets get a drink from the kitchen." He says turning around. "Oh Heather. I thought you went out for a run?" He asks. I look at the girl and notice her expression is one of fright and she looks very worried. "Honey. Are you feeling okay?" I almost growl at him calling my mate honey. "Come on you don't look well. Sweetie are you sure everything is okay?" He has a concered look on his face. She practically burst into tears and runs to hug him. I growl lowly. But they don't notice.

"Dad. I need to talk to mom and you. Please. It's important." She says through tears. Oh... so that's her dad. Wow okay. Possessive wolf problems I guess.

"Heather what is going on? I haven't seen you cry for years. Nor have you ever given me a hug by choice. You've been so sheltered and emotionless. What happened to my little girl?"

"I... I was umm...." She stutters and trails off.

"Heather. Just tell him. It's about time." This guy says from behind them still standing on the stair case. He looks her age and they look alot alike but it angers me that he is here and came down right behind her. "It's about time I had my sister back please Heather." Oh... damn maybe I'm too jealous and possessive.

"Heather?" I pipe up. Everyone goes silent. She pulls away from her father and gazes up at me.

"You're the guy who saved me? Right?" She says as if she didn't know, it sounds more like a question than a statement.

"Yes. But you already know that I am more than that." I glance at her.

"What are you talking about?" Drake snaps.

"She is my mate." I tell him.

"No I'm not." She says swiftly. I look at her like she's crazy. "Well! How would I know for sure!? I haven't kissed you." She snaps with a glare. I look at Drake. He looks unsure but nods anyway. So I walk up to Heather and kiss her. I immediately felt the sparks flow from my lips to the rest of my body and they feel amazing! I pull away not wanting to get into it with her father and brother right there. "Dammit." She whispers. I smile.

"I thought I'd never find you." I whisper to her with a goofy grin on my face. "Being 22 I thought maybe I'd never find my mate. I was so happy to smell you in the woods today. I just wish I found you under different circumstances."

"Whoa. Wait you're 22?" She says shocked.

"Yes?" I said. "Wait how old are you?"

"16." She says. I take a step back. I just kissed a minor. Why is my mate so young? Normal mates are typically a year or two in age difference not six.