Chapter 19: New Arc

Argus Corporation
- SAO Quest Development -
The Past

"Saitou sir," a male voice said, "We've got the models for those elves you wanted. We will commence voice recording as soon as possible."

Saitou Macintyre, game developer of Sword Art Online and a millionaire in his own right, sat behind his ebony desk. He had his hands clenched together and placed out in front. His head leaned on the joined fist as he mused over the news on the intercom.

The global quest was coming along just as he planned. He had selected handsome and youthful men, perfect for the role of the two lead elves.

Lex and Lysinius, two brothers who were supposed to be complete opposites while harboring just the right amount of ideals. Yes, there was a reason to their looks. It wasn't style or random design. No, there was another reason.

For now though, he would read over the script.
Kayaba had spent many hours refining his work. The elves were not merely quest givers but tools to incite thought and provoke reactions. They were made to be advanced AIs, creatures that were not just simple repetitions of lines and words. Talking, feeling and fighting was just one of the many things they were designed to do.

The main thing was how they faced different situations. Saitou had made this clear. The elves of the Underground would not simply stare blankly at a player. They would have to behave like real people, storing words, phrases and data away so as to properly behave when acted upon.

There was one other thing Lex and Lysinius needed to do. It was a bit difficult, Saitou thought, to recreate a representation on such a level. However, he thought he could get it just right. Moving a pen over, he scratched out a line on the script, neatly writing down a better one. The words had to be perfect to get any real data from this little experiment.

You see, he said to the other developers a few days before, I want to create this quest to find out two certain types of people. The elves are supposed to represent them. One is a protective brother who would do anything to ensure his brother remained safe, even so far as pushing the young one away.

The other, and this may be tragic, is endearing and kind. He accepts all and will not back down from anyone, even, if I must add, his brother. While the first seems haughty and cruel, the second is humble and optimistic.
These two AIs will be useful then, in selecting those people proper for the story. If they do not fit, the AIs will simply end the quest there.

Saitou turned to point at the drawing board, a sketch of the handsome older elf by his marker. Then the quest will just reset for the next fortunate person to try their luck.

And what story is this asked a colleague. Why go so far just to find the right people? We have ten thousand players planned for this. Who knows which ones will work?

That's why you must have faith he had said. In short, I did not simply create a quest. It is more of an exposition, an introductory phase. The true storyline will be much bigger.

Saitou had planned this from the start. There would be many arcs. The Underground was only one of them. A second would involve someone else, another individual of different stature. It involved a priestess and a feudal lord. Everything would fall together in the end.

For now though, he would contend with the current script for this particular scene. Blowing on the ink to dry, Saitou slid the stack of paper forwards on his desk. He clicked the intercom and called up his assistant. With that done, he leaned back in his comfortable chair.

Next up was another arc, the main arc, the public arc. This one would be the one he would reveal when the time was right. The others, including the Underground one, would be more subtle. Looking at the title page, Saitou simply smiled. His assistant sure had a sense of humor. He himself would not call it that.

"The Demon King Versus the Dual Blades Swordsman."