Chapter 1

“Finnick wake up its reapin day” yelled my grandmother, the eldest person in all of district 4 no one knows why she’s lived so long might be the fact that she’s the only person in our whole district who has never had fish and refuses to eat it. I get up out of my bed and walk towards the bathroom on the wooden floors which creek with every step I take. I bang on the door. My 17 year old sister Claire is in there,“Finnick ill be out in a second, you don’t think I wake up looking perfect do you?”

She’s probably the most annoying person in all of Panem. I forget about showering and just head downstairs my mom and grandmother are down there discussing the very first hunger games which my grandmother witnessed she said it wasn’t nearly as brutal as it was today. She mentions mags she’s mentored the majority of all our games and her and my grandmother are very close. After breakfast I go to shower and my sister comes down screaming about how bad she looks my mom tries to help but my grandmother nods“at least you don’t look like a slut today” she adds, my grandmother and Claire never got along ever since Claire got her first boyfriend at 13.

Me and my sister walk towards the city hall our mother and grandmother stay at home mostly because it’s waste of time district 4 normally gets volunteers anyways. My finger gets picked and I notice a sense of nervousness from everyone. I ask my friend Logan what’s wrong,” Apparently no one is volunteering this year, says the aren’t trained enough” and that’s when I get nervous me and my sister are both eligible to be reaped especially when each of us took out multiple tesserae knowing someone would volunteer we figured there was no risk, until now. Our escort walks up, her name is Fannia Sterlingshire she’s got a blue wig on and giant red lips, she’s wearing a gigantic green dress to make her look thinner but being 400lbs doesn’t help it. She brings mags up on stage with her and starts to speak.

“Welcome, Welcome to the 65th annual Hunger games!" Let’s start with the boys” she reaches her gigantic hand into the round glass bowl. “Finnick Odair” I pause for a second not realizing what just happened. This can’t be real I think to myself, this isn’t actually happening. Logan gives me a huge push and everyone backs away I slowly walk towards the stage “well hello there handsome boy nice to meet you” Fannia says to me, I look at her in disgust “Are there any volunteers?” she asks and the whole crowd goes silent. “Okay then well on with the girls” her hand reaches in and twirls around a couple seconds as she slowly pulls out the small piece of paper “Ariel Young” Everyone is silent again. “NOOOOOO” Shouts a female voice from the back of crowd all we can is her giant weeping, I’ve never felt more sorry for anyone, she never deserved this and neither do I. A peacekeeper comes and grabs her arms and carries her on stage, fannia wraps her arms around me and Ariel “Any final volunteers” Nothing.  We get escorted to a private room to say our final goodbyes, hopefully Claire ran back home to grab mom and gramma, i could hear her weeping as i slowly walked into the building.