Chapter 2

“You can’t let them take me away” Yells Ariel sobbing from the room next to mine. The door opens and gramma walks in I give her a huge hug and tell her to take care of mom and Claire then they follow in after “We have faith in you” says my mom “if you die can I have your room” says my sister and my grandmother slaps her across the face “he ain’t dying anytime soon” she says to Claire. I give Claire a hug and she exits the room with tears down her face.

Mom bursts into the she hasn’t said a word the whole time and I doubt she will, “take care of them and I will be back, I promise, stay strong I love you” she nods and steps back, she won’t say anything because she knows I’m not coming back alive and with me gone the whole house will fall apart. I give gramma one last hug she’s the one I am going to miss the most, our late night checkers and talking about panem and district 13 were some of my favourite memories. She believes in me though and I hope I come back alive. The sobbing stops in the other room and the peacekeepers escort us to the train.

Me and Ariel sit down across from fannia and Mags. There's an awkward silence “well are you guys excited, I just can’t wait for this years games president snow has something special planned” yells fannia in excitement. I will never understand these capitol people. “do you have a plan for us mags?” I ask “Well yes I do, unfortunately I don’t know what the arena will be but I do know how I can prepare you. Both of you need to pick a side. Sign with the careers, form a new alliance or stay alone.” I look over at Ariel she seems strong, I know she won’t win but she could help me out. “Allies?” I ask her. She nods her head in agreement. “Now for training, seeing as how you aren’t joining the careers don’t come off as strong until private training, practice what you don’t know, some survival skills and stuff like that.” Says mags. “Well its getting late better get you little minions off the bed” says Fannia. We both head to our rooms.

Mags walks in and sits next to me “Back a couple years ago I made a promise to your grandmother if you Claire ever got reaped I would do my hardest to keep you alive” I stand there in shock, I may finally have a chance at these games.” But I need you help” she says to me.” I need you to come off as an attractive, strong and confident so the capitol will love you, I have to go before Fannia catches me talking to you, but when we get to the capitol I will tell you good allies” she gives me a hug and exits the room. For once since the reaping I finally feel excited I can survive this, a chill goes through my bones. I lay down in my bed knowing every minute that passes is a minute closer until I can see my family again.