Chapter 59: I Will Be Your Solid Ground

Despite a striking familiarity about Ellen's feelings, suddenly everything was different. She was different, stronger, more driven. More independent than she had ever been and yet indefinitely attached to the one heart she had fought her whole adult life to escape. How had he become her encourager again? What was it about his presence that coerced her to knowingly turn her world upside down? The thought of it made her stomach flutter with both excitement and terror.

But this time was indeed different. Ellen had spent many years settling for less than she deserved. She floated along hiding her hearts true desires and pressing forward in efforts to keep the storms of her life at bay. She wasn't going to do it anymore. Not for Chris, and sure as hell not for any attempt to keep the media quiet.

Ellen stepped into her Uber car just outside the Boston airport. As she did she tried to remember getting out of Patrick's car in Los Angeles. She hugged Emilee and grabbed her bag off the floor. Had she kissed his cheek?

It wasn't the idea of kissing his cheek that made her panic. It was the fact that it felt so normal that she couldn't even remember if she had done it.

The car pulled into her neighborhood and she suddenly started to get anxious. How would she say it? What would she say? How would she defend herself?

"Thank you," she said kindly handed the driver a generous tip. She grabbed her carry on bag and got out of the black town car.

Ellen sighed as she stared up at her house. This wasn't going to be easy but she knew it was the right decision.

"Hello," she unlocked the front door and walked in. Stella was doing her homework at the kitchen table and the nanny of the week was flipping through the latest crap magazine.

"Mommy," Stella ran to Ellen's arms.

"Hi baby girl," she hugged her tightly.

"I'm so glad you're home." Stella cheered. 

"Me too," Ellen smiled brightly. She stood up to take off her jacket and introduce herself to the nanny. "Hi, I'm Ellen, Stella's mom," she extended her hand.

"Mandy," the nanny smiled popping her bubble gum. She was blonde and looked to be about 25.

"Mandy, nice to meet you. You can head home a bit early today. I will be here with Stella." Ellen reached into her bag to take out her cell phone.

"Oh," Mandy looked surprised, "Christopher and I actually had plans to take her to the park later." Stella rolled her eyes in the background.

Ellen laughed under hear breath, "Of course you did." Any feelings of guilt or anxiousness quickly melted away. "Well Mandy," Ellen mocked her name. "I'm sorry I wasn't being clear. You're fired."

"But," Mandy spoke again.

"Look, tomorrow he will be a free man but today he is still my fucking husband.. so if you could just wait. I'm sure you'll get a phone call."

"I didn't realize..." Mandy stuttered, "He said..."

"I'm sure he did...Thank you, Mandy," Ellen walked her to the door. "Goodbye."

Stella laughed hysterically as her mom shut the front door.