Chapter 122: Ain't It Just Like Love to Find Us

The warm June breeze blew through the window. For a brief moment it calmed Ellen as she stood in front of the dress she had been dreaming about for months. At any other time in her life fitting into it wouldn't have even concerned her in the slightest. But now.. now she was a middle aged woman who had just had a baby. Fitting into a wedding dress doesn't get much scarier than that. Actually... life in general didn't get much more outrageous than that.

With every step, further into the day, she was again reminded, what a fairytale this was. People don't get this kind of happy ending. Perhaps that is what made Ellen so nervous about getting through this day. Tomorrow they would be husband and wife. No one could stop them. No one would be able to judge them or throw a wrench in their plans. And most importantly Ellen would know that it hadn't all been a dream. She would wake up as Ellen Pompeo Dempsey and that would be how she got to spend the rest of her life.

The quietness of the room was suddenly disrupted by the excited chatter of Ellen's daughters. Stella, Emilee, and Tallulah. They looked up at her in awe. It was time.

Ellen stood at the counter of the white, airy, kitchen of their new Malibu home. 

"Mom," Emilee said through a cheeky grin, "Can I start opening the boxes in my room?"

She turned to find her two daughters looking up at her. Although the moving truck wasn't even half unloaded Ellen nodded and smiled. They giggled excitedly and ran away. She pulled a bottle of water from the fridge and closed the door to find Tallulah hovering behind it. "Please don't tell me you are going to ask me the same thing?"

"No," Tallulah laughed, "I'm just trying to stay out of the way."

"Right," Ellen agreed though she question if that was the truth considering there were 5,000 other sqft to stay out of the way in.

Tallulah took a stool next to Ellen at the counter. Most of the house was riddled with Hamptons beach house chic. It was very large, very expensive way of bringing two families together, creating a fresh start. 

"I'm sorry about the stuff with my mom," Tallulah spoke, "I mean... I'm not sorry because you guys hurt her but I am sorry that she's trying to hurt back."

"It's not your fault Tee," Ellen smiled. She wasn't sure what to say exactly. It was miserable but all that came out was,  "It's ok. We can handle it."

Tallulah was referring to the vicious custody battle that Jillian had tried to unleash. She wasn't going to win but it was still putting Patrick and Ellen through hell. They hadn't expected any of this to be easy but they sure as hell hadn't expected Ellen to be pregnant in the process.

"I know, it just makes everything weird. I don't think she realizes that it makes it harder on us."

"Maybe you should tell her," Ellen suggested lightly.

"It's just like I'm forced to choose sides," Tallulah sighed, "That's what people do in a divorce right? Choose sides?"

Ellen settled next to her, "No," she shook her head, "It feels like that but it will pass. We'll learn to get along. Your Mom will meet someone and be happy again."

Tallulah nodded, "You're right,"she smiled, "I think you make this so much more confusing."

"Why?" Ellen was suddenly confused herself.

"Because I like you," She laughed, "You're not supposed to like the woman who home wrecks your family."

Ellen laughed, "Ah it sounds awful when you say it that way."